Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Lot 504: 1923 Bradbury 4hp Solo Motorcycle
A Sale of Collectors’ Motor Cars, Historic Commercial Vehicles, Motorcycles, Cycles and Automobilia
November 19, 2007
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Description: Bradbury, based in Oldham, were pioneers in motorcycle manufacture, commencing production in 1902, having previously been involved in the manufacture of machine tools, sewing machines and cycles. Like so many contemporaries their first offerings were bicycle-based with clip-on engines, the Minerva engine being adopted by Bradbury. More substantial offerings came in 1903 and in that year Bradbury won the S.F. Edge Cup after no less than five re-runs over a 200 mile non-stop trial. By 1910 Bradbury motorcycles in competition had won more than 300 first prizes and excelled in hill climbs and endurance events. During World War I the company was to supply His Majesty’s Navy with a consignment of 4hp machines fitted with a counter shaft gearbox. Bradbury were to remain in the field of motorcycle manufacture until 1925. This machine was first registered on 30th June 1923, then in sidecar form. The owner at that time was Florence Jackson of Kendal and the original buff log book offered with this bike suggests that it changed hands for the first time some 47 years later in 1971, remaining in Kendal, before acquisition for The Potter Collection in 1973. The machine appears to be to exceptionally original specification in all major respects and is powered by a single-cylinder, side-valve engine with three-speed, hand-change gearbox, final drive being by chain. It is equipped with a rear luggage carrier with twin leather tool panniers, cast aluminium footrests and fuel is supplied by a Brown & Barlow carburettor. Following a long period of showroom display this machine will reward careful recommissioning and is offered with Bradbury handbooks, slightly pre-dating this machine, old style buff log book, MoT certificate from 1972, original tax discs from 1923 to 1929, and a Swansea V5C registration document for its original Cumbrian registration number.