Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
07 July 2012
Le Mans , FranceLive Auction
Lot 238: 1988 WM P88 N°51 DES 24 HEURES DU MANS 1988 - no reserve(5,157 views)
1988 WM P88 N°51 DES 24 HEURES DU MANS 1988 - no reserve
Sans carte grise
Chassis n° HZ1988-4
- Sans réserve
- Record du monde de vitesse aux Hunaudières lors des 24 Heures du Mans 1988
- Participation aux 24 H du Mans.
- Voiture d'un record inégalable
- Véhicule historique
Le tandem formé par Gérard Welter et Michel Meunier, tous deux ingénieurs et stylistes chez Peugeot, oeuvrait depuis 1969 à réaliser de manière artisanale mais particulièrement intelligente des automobiles de compétition à moteur Peugeot. Si les premières WM utilisaient la très roturière mécanique de la Peugeot 204, en 1976 ce fut le V6 PRV de la Peugeot 604 qui pris, dans la WM P76, le départ des 24 Heures du Mans. Hélas la voiture dût abandonner à la 16e heure à cause d'une fuite du réservoir d'essence. Le tandem WM reprendra la piste du Mans en 1980, cette fois-ci avec le soutien de la marque. En 1981, ce sont quatre WM P81 qui prennent le départ. Malheureusement, l'une d'elle, pilotée par Thierry Boutsen, coûtera la vie à un commissaire de piste dès la troisième heure de course. Depuis 1981, les WM portent le logo Heuliez, car afin de promouvoir sa volonté de recherche, le Groupe Henri Heuliez décida de sponsoriser les efforts de WM, et de participer à l'élaboration des carrosseries. Les inscriptions des WM aux 24 heures du Mans se succédèrent sans discontinuer jusqu'en 1988. Mais pour cette année, l'objectif majeur de l'inscription des WM aux 24 Heures du Mans était de battre le record de vitesse officiel de 391 km/h dans la ligne droite des Hunaudières jusque là détenu par une Porsche. Heuliez s'est chargé de concevoir une carrosserie particulièrement fluide. Les prises d'air, très réduites, avaient donné lieu à de nombreuses études des flux d'air en soufflerie et par ordinateur, afin de refroidir correctement le moteur tout en offrant le moins de prise au vent. De nombreuses maquettes de la P88 furent testées dans la soufflerie Jules Vernes du CSTB de Nantes.
Cette année là donc, la WM P88 portant le numéro 51 s'aligne au départ. Elle dispose du moteur V6 PRV à double turbo de 3.643 cm3. Trois pilotes vont se relayer pour la piloter : Roger Dorchy, Claude Haldi, et Jean-Daniel Raulet. La légende du Mans raconte que lors des essais sur autoroute la voiture franchissait le cap des 400 km/h, mais qu'au Mans lors des premiers jours d'essais l'équipe WM et les pilotes n'arrivaient pas à égaler cette vitesse sur les Hunaudiéres alors que la voiture semblait fonctionner de façon optimale. Heureusement, on réalisa le samedi durant la course que le radar de vitesse se trouvant sur la mythique ligne droite n'était pas réglé pour enregistrer des vitesses au-delà de 400 km/h. A 20h46, derrière le bruit de fond des moteurs qui rugissent sur la piste au passage des tribunes, dans le mutisme inquiet qui règne dans le paddock WM à chaque engagement d'une auto dans la ligne droite des Hunaudières, le grésillement des casques des pilotes et celui tout aussi inaudible des commissaires de pistes délivrent le message tant espéré : "Record battu" !
La WM P88 N° 51, pilotée par Roger Dorchy, vient d'exploser le record de Porsche, franchissant la barre symbolique et oh combien magistrale des 400 km/h, et fixe le nouveau record à 405 km/h. Dans les yeux de Gérard Welter, se mêlent à cet instant précis l'incrédulité, la joie indicible de la réussite, l'émotion qui embrume le regard, et la reconnaissance émue pour tous ceux qui composent son équipe et qui ont oeuvré à cette spectaculaire réussite. Epuisée par son exploit, P88 n'arrivera pas à franchir la ligne d'arrivée, rendant l'âme, auréolée de lauriers, durant la nuit. La WM P88 détient toujours ce record qui risque de rester éternel, car depuis 1990, la ligne droite des Hunaudières ayant été défigurée par deux chicanes, n'est plus que l'ombre de son mythe ! L'année suivante, la WM P88 n°51 reprend le départ des 24 Heures du Mans, mais doit abandonner sur incendie moteur mettant fin à sa belle carrière.
WM P88 se présente en état d'origine et telle qu'elle remporta son record du monde de vitesse. Elle est dépourvue de son moteur endommagé, qui fut par la suite repris par Gérard Welter. Ce dernier le détient toujours, et se tient à la disposition du futur acquéreur pour éventuellement le céder et le remettre en condition, après devis. La dimension historique de P88 ne vous aura pas échappé. Son aura émotionnelle non plus ! C'est tout autant l'histoire que la puissance que l'on s'offre à travers ce beau monstre.
Ce véhicule majeur de l'histoire de l'automobile a fait l'objet en 2010 d'un classement à l'Inventaire supplémentaire des Monuments Historiques.
IMMATRICULATION DES PROTOTYPES HEULIEZ :
Heuliez est un constructeur automobile. A ce titre, les prototypes bénéficient d'une plaque constructeur et d'un numéro d'identification. Tous les véhicules de la Collection Heuliez seront vendus avec une Attestation Constructeur.
En vue d'immatriculer ces véhicules nous avons reçu de la FFVE les informations suivantes :
- Pour les véhicules réalisés il y a plus de trente ans, une attestation de la FFVE pourra être obtenue et ainsi, une fois le contrôle technique passé, les véhicules pourront être immatriculés avec une carte grise de collection.
- Pour les véhicules réalisés il y a moins de 30 ans, une réception à titre isolé auprès de la DREAL sera nécessaire ainsi qu'un contrôle technique afin d'obtenir une carte grise normale.
Chassis n° HZ1988-4
- No reserve.
- World speed record on the Hunaudières Straight during the 24 Hour Le Mans Race 1988
- Participated in Le Mans 24 H.
- Car with unbeaten record
- Historic vehicle
From 1969, the duo Gérard Welter and Michel Meunier, both engineers and designers for Peugeot, worked using traditional methods in an intelligent way, to create competition cars powered by a Peugeot engine. The first WM cars used the very basic engine of the Peugeot 204, but in 1976 this was exchanged for the V6 PRV engine from the Peugeot 604, and was used in the WM P76 to take part in the Le Mans 24 Hour Race. Unfortunately the car was forced to retire in the 16th hour with a fuel leak. The WM duo returned to Le Mans in 1980, this time with support from the marque. In 1981, four WM P81 cars lined up for the start. Tragically, one of these, driven by Thierry Boutsen, was involved in an accident which killed a marshall in the third hour of the race. From 1981, the WMs carried the Heuliez logo, as Henri Heuliez's company, keen to promote their research, had decided to sponsor WM's efforts and help develop the bodywork. WM cars enlisted for the Le Mans 24 Hour Race every year without interruption until 1988. That year, the main objective for the WM entry was to beat the official top speed record of 391 km/h achieved on the Hunaudières Straight by a Porsche. Heuliez was given the job of creating a more flowing body style. The reduced air intakes prompted much testing in the wind tunnel and on the computer, to allow adequate engine cooling while offering the least wind resistance. Several P88 models were tested in the CSTB Jules Vernes wind tunnel in Nantes.
And so that year, the WM P88 number 51 lined up for the start, equipped with a twin-turbo 3,643cc V6 PRV engine. Three drivers were sharing the car: Roger Dorchy, Claude Haldi, and Jean-Daniel Raulet. According to Le Mans legend, although the WM team had been able to break the 400km/h barrier while testing on the autoroute, they had not been able to achieve the same speeds on the Hunaudiéres straight during the early days of testing. Fortunately, it was then discovered on the Saturday during the race, that the speed radar on the legendary straight line, had not been set up to record speeds above 400 km/h. At 20h46, over the noise of engines roaring down the straight, past the rostrum, and the uneasy silence in the WM paddock every time a car crossed the line at Hunaudières, the crackly and almost inaudible hoped-for message was delivered to the helmets of drivers and track officials : " New Record " ! At that moment, Gérard Welter's eyes shone with the indescribable joy of success mixed with incredulity, emotion, and heartfelt gratitude for his team and all those who had contributed to this spectacular result. Drained by the feat, P88 didn't cross the finish line, and retired, crowned with laurels, during the night. The WM P88 still holds this record, and may always do so, since two chicanes were added to the Hunaudières straight in 1990, allowing the legend to remain! The following year, WM P88 no. 51 started the 24 Hour race at Le Mans, but was forced to retire when an engine fire brought its great career to an end.
WM 88 remains today in the same condition as the day it won the world speed record. It is missing the damaged engine which was taken back by Gérard Welter. He has it still, and is open to the possibility, at some future date, of selling it to the new owner, restored and fitted back into the car, subject to estimate. The historical importance of WM P88 is clear, as is its emotional resonance! Power and provenance come hand in hand with this beautiful monster.
This car that has played a major part in automotive history was given a ranking in the Inventaire supplémentaire des Monuments Historiques in 2010.
REGISTRATION OF HEULIEZ PROTOTYPES:
Heuliez is a car manufacturer. As such, the prototypes all have a manufacturer's plate and an identification number. All the vehicles in the Heuliez Collection will be sold with a Manufacturer's Certificate.
In order to register these vehicles, we have received the following information from the FFVE (Fédération Française des Véhicules d'Epoque = French classic cars association):
- For vehicles that are more than thirty years old, an FFVE certificate can be obtained. Once an French technical inspection has also been obtained, the vehicles are eligible for French collectors' registration
- Vehicles less than 30 years old will need to be individually approved by the French administration DREAL and have a current technical inspection, in order to be registered in France
Terms and ConditionsOpen in separate window
By submitting your bid, you agree that:
- You agree to pay a buyer's premium of up to 16.00% and any applicable taxes and shipping.
Conditions of Purchase
CONDITIONS OF PURCHASE
Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan is a company of voluntary auction sales regulated by the law of the 10 July 2000.?In such capacity Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan acts as the agent of the seller who contracts with the buyer.?The relationships between Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan and the buyer are subject to the present general conditions of purchase which can be modified by saleroom notices or oral indications given at the time of the sale, which will be recorded in the official sale record.
1 - Goods for auction
1. The prospective buyers are invited to examine any goods in which they may be interested, before the auction takes place, and notably during the exhibitions.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan is at disposal of the prospective buyers to provide them with reports about the conditions of lots.
2. Description of the lots resulting from the catalogue, the reports, the labels and the verbal statements or announcements are only the expression by Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan of their perception of the lot, but cannot constitute the proof of a fact.
3. The statements by made Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan about any restoration, mishap or harm arisen concerning the lot are only made to facilitate the inspection thereof by the prospective buyer and remain subject to his own or to his expert's appreciation.?The absence of statements Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan by relating to a restoration, mishap or harm, whether made in the catalogue, condition reports, on labels or orally, does not imply that the item is exempt from any current, past or repaired defect.?Inversely, the indication of any defect whatsoever does not imply the absence of any other defects.
4. Estimates are provided for guidance only and cannot be considered as implying the certainty that the item will be sold for the estimated price or even within the bracket of estimates.?Estimates cannot constitute any warranty assurance whatsoever.?The estimations can be provided in several currencies; the conversions may, in this case or, be rounded off differently than the legal rounding.
2 - The sale
1. In order to assure the proper organisation of the sales, prospective buyers are invited to make themselves known to Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan before the sale, so as to have their personal identity data recorded.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to ask any prospective buyer to justify his identity as well as his bank references. ?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to refuse admission to the auction sales premises to any prospective buyer for legitimate reasons.
2. Any person who is a bidder undertakes to pay personally and immediately the hammer price increased by the costs to be born by the buyer and any and all taxes or fees/expenses which could be due.?Any bidder is deemed acting on his own behalf except when prior notification, accepted by Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan, is given that he acts as an agent on behalf of a third party.
3. The usual way to bid consists in attending the sale on the premises.?However, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan may graciously accept to receive some bids by telephone from a prospective buyer who has expressed such a request before the sale.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will bear no liability / responsability whatsoever, notably if the telephone contact is not made, or if it is made too late, or in case of mistakes or omissions relating to the reception of the telephone.?For variety of purposes, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves its right to record all the telephone communications during the auction. Such records shall be kept until the complete payment of the auction price, except claims.
4. Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan may accept to execute orders to bid which will have been submitted before the sale and by Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan which have been deemed acceptable.?Should Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan receive several instructions to bid for the same amounts, it is the instruction to bid first received which will be given preference.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will bear no liability/responsibility in case of mistakes or omission of performance of the written order.
5. In the event where a reserve price has been stipulated by the seller, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to bid on behalf of the seller until the reserve price is reached.?The seller will not be admitted to bid himself directly or through an agent.?The reserve price may not be higher than the low estimate for the lot printed in the catalogue.
6. Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will conduct auction sales at their discretion, in accordance with established practices.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to refuse any bid, to organise the bidding in such manner as may be the most appropriate, to move some lots in the course of the sale, to withdraw any lot in the course of the sale, to combine or to divide some lots in the course of the sale.?In case of challenge or dispute, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to designate the successful bidder, to continue the bidding or to cancel it, or to put the lot back up for bidding.
7. Subject to the decision of the person conducting the bidding for Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan, the successful bidder will be the bidder would will have made the highest bid provided the final bid is equal to or higher than the reserve price if such a reserve price has been stipulated.?The hammer stroke will mark the acceptance of the highest bid and the pronouncing of the word "Adjugé" or any equivalent will amount to the conclusion of the purchase contract between the seller and the last bidder taken in consideration.?No lot will be delivered to the buyer until full payment has been made.?In case of payment by an ordinary draft/check, payment will be deemed made only when the check will have been cashed.
3 - The performance of the sale
1. In addition of the lot's hammer price, the buyer must pay the following costs and fees/taxes:
1. Lots from the EEC:
? • From €1 to €30,000: 24% + current VAT (for books, VAT = 1,32% of the hammer price; for other categories, VAT = 4,704% of the hammer price).
? • From €30,001 to €600,000: 20% + current VAT (for books, VAT = 1,1% of the hammer price; for other categories, VAT = 3,92% of the hammer price).
? • Over €600,001: 12% + current VAT (for books, VAT = 0,66% of the hammer price; for other categories, VAT = 2,35% of the hammer price).
2. Lots from outside the EEC : (indentified by an ¤ on the website)?In addition to the commissions and taxes indicated above, an additional import VAT will be charged (7% of the hammer price, 19,6% for jewelry and watches, motorcars, wines and spirits and multiples).
3. The taxes (VAT on commissions and VAT on importation) can be retroceded to the purchaser on presentation of written proof of exportation outside the EEC.?An EEC purchaser who will submit his intra-Community VAT number will be exempted from paying the VAT on commissions.?The payment of the lot will be made cash, for the whole of the price, costs and taxes, even when an export licence is required.?The purchaser will be authorized to pay by the following means :?- in cash: up to €3,000, costs and taxes included, for French citizen, up to €15,000, costs and taxes included, for foreign citizen?on presentation of their identity papers.?- By credit card: Visa, MasterCard or American Express (in case of payment by American Express, a 1,85% additional commission corresponding to cashing costs will be collected).
2. Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will be authorized to reproduce in the official sale record and on the bid summary the information that the buyer will have provided before the sale. The buyer will be responsible for any false information given.?Should the buyer have neglected to give his personal information before the sale, he will have to give the necessary information as soon as the sale of the lot has taken place.?Any person having been recorded by Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan has a right of access and of rectification to the nominative data provided to Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan pursuant to the provisions of Law of the 6 July 1978.
3. The lot must to be insured by the buyer immediately after the purchase. The buyer will have no recourse against Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan, in the event where, due to a theft, a loss or a deterioration of his lot after the purchase, the compensation he will receive from the insurer of Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan would prove unsufficient.
4. The lot will be delivered to the buyer only after the entire payment of the price, costs and taxes. In the meantime Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan may invoice to the buyer the costs of storage of the lot, and if applicable the costs of handling and transport.?Should the buyer fail to pay the amount due, and after notice to pay has been given by Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan to the buyer without success, at the seller's request, the lot is re-offered for sale, under the French procedure known as "procédure de folle enchère". If the seller does not make this request within a month from the date of the sale, the sale will be automatically cancelled, without prejudice to any damages owed by the defaulting buyer.?In addition, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to claim against the defaulting buyer, at their option:?- interest at the legal rate increased by five points,?- the reimbursement of additional costs generated by the buyer's default,?- the payment of the difference between the initial hammer price and the price of sale after "procédure de folle enchère" if it is inferior as well as the costs generated by the new auction.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan also reserves the right to set off any amount Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan may owe the defaulting buyer with the amounts to be paid by the defaulting buyer.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan reserves the right to exclude from any future auction, any bidder who has been a defaulting buyer or who has not fulfilled these general conditions of purchase.
5. For items purchased which are not collected within seven days from after the sale (Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays included), Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will be authorized to move them into a storage place at the defaulting buyer's expense, and to release them to same after payment of corresponding costs, in addition to the price, costs and taxes.
4 - The incidents of the sale
1. In case two bidders have bidden vocally, by mean of gesture or by telephone for the same amount and both claim title to the lot, after the bidding the lot, will immediately be offered again for sale at the previous last bid, and all those attending will be entitled to bid again.
2. So as to facilitate the presentation of the items during the sales, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will be able to use video technology.?Should any error occur in operation of such, which may lead to show an item during the bidding which is not the one on which the bids have been made, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan shall bear no liability/responsability whatsoever, and will have sole discretion to decide whether or not the bidding will take place again.
3. So as to facilitate the price calculation for prospective buyers, a currency converter may be operated by Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan as guidance.?Nevertheless, the bidding cannot be made in foreign currency and Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will not be liable for errors of conversion.
5 - Pre-emption of the French state
The French state in entitled to use a right of pre-emption on works of art, pursuant to the rules of law in force.?The use of this right comes immediately after the hammer stroke, the representative of the French state expressing then the intention of the State to substitute for the last bidder, provided he confirms the pre-emption decision within fifteen days.?Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan will not bear any liability/responsibility for the conditions of the pre-emption by the French State.
6 - Intellectual Property Right - Copyright
The copyright in any and all parts of the catalogue is the property of Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan.?Any reproduction thereof is forbidden and will be considered as counterfeiting to their detriment.?Furthermore, Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan benefits from a legal exception allowing them to reproduce the lots for auction sale in their catalogue, even though the copyright protection on an item has not lapsed.?Any reproduction of Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan's catalogue may therefore constitute an illegal reproduction of a work which may lead its perpetrator to be prosecuted for counterfeiting by the holder of copyright on the work.?The sale of a work of art does not transfer to its buyer any reproduction or representation rights thereof.
7 - Items falling within the scope of specific rules
For sales of cars - including both cars of collection and ordinary cars - special additional conditions apply, as stated hereafter.?In addition to the lot's hammer price, the buyer will have to pay the following costs per lot and by degressive brackes:?• From €1 to 100,000: 16% + current VAT (i.e. 3,13% of the hammer price).?• Over €100,000: 10% + current VAT (i.e.1,96% of the hammer price).
1. Only the authenticity of the vehicle is guaranteed, taking into consideration the possible reservations made the description.
2. The vehicles are sold in their current condition. The information in the catalogue is not binding. Indeed, the condition of a car may vary between the time of its description in the catalogue and the time of its presentation at the sale. The exhibition taking place for several days prior to the sale and allowing awareness of the condition of the vehicles, no complaint will be accepted once the sale by auction is pronounced.
3. For administrative reasons, the designations of the vehicles use the information given on the official vehicle registration documentation.
4. Considering the possible evolution of the condition of the cars, as stated under b), it is specified that the price ranges are given strictly for informational purposes and on a provisional basis. Now, the estimations will be put out at the beginning of the exhibition and if need be, corrected publicly at the time of the sale and recorded in the minutes thereof.
5. The bidders are deemed to have read the documentation relating to each vehicle, notably the technical inspections which are available at the auction sales company. However, some vehicles may be sold without having been submitted to the examination of technical inspection because of their age, of their non-circulating condition or of their competition aspect. The public will have to inquire about it at the time of the preview and sale.
6. The vehicles indentified by an ¤ have been consigned by owners from outside the EEC. The buyers will have to pay a VAT of 5.5% in addition to the hammer price, for which buyers from outside the EEC will be able to be reimbursed on presentation of export documentation within a time limit of one month after the sale, failing which it will not be possible to obtain reimbursement of such VAT.
7. The buyer has the burden and the exclusive responsibility for the change of registration of vehicles, notably within the time limit set forth by law.
8. The removal of vehicles must absolutely take place on the day after the auction sale, at the latest. Beyond this time limit, they will bestored at the costs and risks of their owner.
8 - Severability
The clauses of these general conditions of purchase are independant from each other. Should a clause whatsoever be found null and void, the others shall remain valid and applicable.
9 - Law and Jurisdiction
These Conditions of purchase are governed by French law exclusively.?Any dispute relating to their existence, their validity and their binding effect on any bidder or buyer shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of France.
Additional Upcoming Lots(view more)
07 July 2012
Tente Artcurial, Circuit des 24 heures du Mans
Le Mans , 72000 France
Phone: +33 2 43 40 39 50