Description: A George III silver circular salver by John Cox, engraved with the Cullum family Arms and applied with pierced and wavy Bath border decorated with masks, trophies and harebell swags, on pierced demi-lune feet with swags, London, 1770, 14.25in, 52 oz.
Condition Report: The arms of Sir John CULLUM , 5th baronet of Hastede and Hardwick House, near Bury St.Edmunds, Suffolk. The Cullum baronetcy, one of many created at the time of the Restoration of Charles II, was conferred on Alderman Thomas Culllum of London.
Request more information
The 1770 shield of the 5th baronet (1754-1774) shows the three Cullum pelicans on the left, while the right hand side is divided for Sir John's two marriages.
The three lions are for Sir John' s first marriage to Jane, daughter of Thomas Deane of Freefolk House. Following her death in 1730 Cullum married Susanna, daughter of Sir Thomas Gery whose arms are symbolised by three mascles.
Susanna bore two sons, each of whom succeeded to the baronetcy which became extinct in 1855.
Descriptions provided in both printed and on-line catalogue formats do not include condition reports. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Interested bidders are strongly encouraged to request a condition report on any lots upon which they intend to bid, prior to placing a bid. All transactions are governed by Gorringes Conditions of Sale.