Lot 2336: A stonebow with rifled barrel and tubular magazine, Hanover, 2nd half of the 17th century
October 26, 2016
Munich, Bavaria, GermanyLive Auction
Description: Slender steel bow with cloverleaf mark, burled hemp string (renewed during the time of use), original hemp cord lashing. Voluminous walnut stock with shotgun butt, both sides decorated with figurative inlays of engraved sheet iron (monster, leaping deer) and filigree tendrils inlaid in iron wire, iron suspension ring, flap lock and double set trigger, smooth iron butt cap. Wooden barrel cover attached with three screws, tubular magazine (open muzzle lined with bone), open sights with iron rear sight and wooden front sight, between them a smooth iron medallion with engraved initial "P". The path of the bullet (10 mm calibre) inside the barrel is formed by two fluted brass plates, the front fifth with three grooves each at the top and bottom. Directly in front of the lock flap is a drilled hole on top from which the lead bullet can drop out of the magazine tube into the barrel. The lock flap is equipped with a pin on top, which moves a spring-loaded lever to open and close the bullet magazine. The stonebow was presumably cocked with a single-arm lever. Slightly damaged, signs of age. Length approx. 68 cm, length of string approx. 56 cm. Special features of this stonebow are the bullet path grooved in the front part and the tubular magazine above the barrel. Signed and dated stonebows of a similar kind were crafted by the Hanoverian manufacturers Hans Ahlers, Johann (Jan) Sander and Christian Zölner, cf. Stöckel p. 7, 1103 and 1437. The cloverleaf mark on the bow can also be found on Saxon stonebows. Beautifully preserved, technically sophisticated crossbow of great rarity.
Condition Report: II
Notes: Armbrusten und Zubehör