Lot 64: A SWISS SILVER-GILT KIDDUSH CUP FOR FESTIVALS, JOHANNES (HANS) SCHEUCHZER II, ZURICH, CIRCA 1680 the domed foot, vase stem and detachable
May 16, 1994
Geneva, Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Description: bowl chased with leaves and later (but before 1867) engraved in Hebrew from Psalms 116 v. 13, and inscribed Purchased from the effects of the late Philip Salomans at Christies by Joseph Pyke and presented to his Dear daughter Mildred on his 76 birthday 3 March 1900, 231gr, height 18.5 cm Provenance: Sold from the collection of Philip Salomons, Christie's, London, 14-17 May 1867, probably lot 262: A Chalice engraved with flowers and Hebrew inscription. Christie's annotated catalogue notes the purchaser as Pike (sic). Philip Salomons (1796-1867) was the eldest of Levy Salomons' children. Born in his father's house in Bury Street, St. Mary Axe, London, he subsequently moved to New York but returned to England in 1826. Although engaged in finance in the City he resided for much of the year in Brighton, Sussex. In his latter years he was much involved with the public life of that county and lived at 26 Brunswick Terrace, Brighton. He married somewhat late in life, at the age of fifty-four, Emma Abigail, daughter of Jacob Montefiore a merchant of Australia, who owned part of the land on which the city of Adelaide was later built. She predeceased him after nine years of marriage at the age of twenty-six. He died eight years later and their three children were brought up by their uncle, David, later Sir David, who had been elected first Jewish Lord Mayor of London in 1855. His youngest brother Joseph married Rebecca sister of Sir Moses Montefiore in 1824. (David Salomons, Albert M Hyamson, London, 1939). Cecil Roth in the introduction to the Catalogue of the Jewish Museum in London, 1974, wrote: The first serious collector of Judaica...was probably Isaac Strauss, Chef d'Orchestre to Napoleon III......Simultaneously in England Philip Salomons....maintained a private synagogue in his house in Brighton and endowed it with a very pleasant small collection of ritual appurtenances, which after his death were acquired by his neighbour Reuben Sassoon.....These two collections were loaned to the great Anglo-Jewish Historical Exhibition held at the Albert Hall, London, in 1887 and were a largely responsible for its outstanding success. A pair of 17th century Hamburg rimonim also from Philip Salomons' collection was sold Sotheby's, Geneva, 15 November 1993, lot 76. Joseph Pyke is recorded at 138 New Bond Street, London in 1878. By 1897, when he is presumed to have retired, his business is styled Pyke Brothers, otherwise the Diamond Merchants & Jewellers Co. He died in 1902, two years after bequeathing the cup to his daughter-in-law, and left an estate valued at £138,785 5s. 4d. In addition to several directorships he is recorded at this point as having been a warden for ten years of the Central Synagogue (John Culme The Directory of Gold and Silversmiths....London, 1987, vol I, p. 376).