Lot 126: ALBERT CHEVALLIER TAYLER, 1862-1925
19th Century British and Continental Paintings
January 25, 2007
London, United Kingdom
QUEEN'S GATE, KENSINGTON
signed and dated 96
oil on canvas
The painting shows a view of Queen's Gate in Kensington, looking east across the remains of the old Royal Horticultural Gardens towards the distant terrace of houses on the east side of Exhibition Road called Princes Gate. The viewpoint is the corner of Elvaston Place and Queen's Gate looking south-eastwards. The house on the left, no.170 Queen's Gate, was built by the architect Norman Shaw for a cement manufacturer, Fred White, in 1888-9. The house on the right with the columned double-height porch is no.167, was also built in 1888-9 by Meryn Macartney for G.W.Davidson, who had recently retired from a partnership in a mercantile firm in Mauritius. The road in the middle is the former Imperial Institute Road and the main block is 168-169 Queen's Gate, built in 1893 or shortly thereafter.