Lot 521: ALBERTO GIACOMETTI Atelier II.
November 3, 2016
New York, NY, USALive Auction
Lithograph on cream wove Arches, 1954. 498x651 mm; 19 5/8x25 5/8 inches, full margins. Signed and numbered 8/30 in pencil, lower margin. Published by Maeght, Paris. A very good impression of this large, scarce lithograph.
A view of the artist's Paris studio at mid-century. According to the Fondation-Giacometti, Paris, "On 1 December 1926, Alberto Giacometti moved into a studio with mezzanine measuring 15 feet by 16 feet at 46 rue Hippolyte-Maindron. The studio was part of a building complex off the rue d'Alésia, at the corner of the rue du Moulin Vert. Around 1932, he rented the studio just opposite his for his brother, who had joined him as his assistant. In spite of having frequently expressed his desire to move out of his studio during the 1930s, due to the lack of comfort and the leaks caused by faulty roofing, Giacometti moved in permanently to the rue Hippolyte-Maindron after the war, upon his return to Paris in September 1945." Lust 15.