Description: Charcoal on paper
Request more information
Austria, around 1918-20
Hans Böhler (1884-1961) - Austrian painter and graphic artist
Monogrammed lower right, "HB"
Framed, behind glass and in passe-partout
Drawings by Böhler fetch up to 4,000 euros at international auctions
Overall dimensions, framed: 40 x 56 cm
Hans Böhler is known for his expressionistic, strongly coloured portrait paintings; but also his landscapes and precisely outlined nude drawings are among the best of their kind. The drawing at hand shows a young woman lying in a seductive pose on her back. Her body is shown from the side and she has bent her left arm over her face thus partly covering it. Her taunting look and her mouth, twisted into a small smile, can still be seen. Her other hand lies on one of her thighs that are resting a bit higher since she has her knees bent. Each raising and immersion and each of her body's curves have been accurately banned on paper. Still, Böhler is not exposing the imperfections of the female body but rather paying his respects without the need to palliate. It is a friendly, undisguised and realistic image, neither judged nor retouched. The clear outlines and the unusual pose of the young woman remind of Böhler's famous contemporary, the great Egon Schiele.
The sheet is in good condition with some creasing and minor tears along the margin. It is framed behind glass in a passe-partout and the frame shows a few traces of wear. The overall dimensions, framed, are 40 x 56 cm, and the dimensions of the sheet measure 31 x 47.5 cm. The paper is monogrammed on the lower right, "HB", and inscribed on verso, "HANS BÖHLER".
Hans Böhler (1884-1961)
Hans Böhler (also Boehler) studied at the private painting school Jaschke in Vienna. At the young age of 20 years, he already exhibited at the Wiener Secession. He travelled throughout Europe and Russia after he finished his studies to learn about the different countries' artistic traditions. He was a close friend of Josef Hoffmann who designed his studio in Vienna. In 1954, he was awarded the title of professor in Vienna. A large collection of his artworks can be seen at the Leopold Museum in Vienna.