Lot 987: CO. OF PROPRIETORS OF THE BASINGSTOKE CANAL NAVIGATION
October 29, 2016
Brussels, BelgiumLive Auction
Description: 7 November 1791 SOUTHAMPTON. Share of £100. black. No 623. Heavily damaged upper third due to water damage. Also small pieces missing at the top. Some water staining also at left border. Folds. The damage is almost entirely outside the printed part of the share, and does not affect the reading. Paper seal. Vignette at the top shows the company seal and name. Company founded in the 18th Year of King George III (thus 1778) to connect Basingstoke (south central England) with the River Thames at Weybridge via the River Wey. Despite the 1778 Act, problems raising the capital meant that construction did not begin until 1788. The canal was opened in 1794. The main cargo carried was timber. Commercial use of the canal ended in 1910. After restoration, 32 miles of the canal was re-opened in 1991. To the best of our knowledge, only this one piece has recently been discovered.
Condition Report: VG