Lot 56: FRENCH GILT BRONZE AND PORCELAIN MOUNTED MANTEL CLOCK LATE 19TH CENTURY 22cm wide, 35cm high
January 25, 2017
Edinburgh, United KingdomLive Auction
FRENCH GILT BRONZE AND PORCELAIN MOUNTED MANTEL CLOCK
LATE 19TH CENTURY
the circular painted porcelain dial in a cylindre case surmounted by a flaming urn finial and flanked by ram''s head loop handles, above a waisted case with gilt metal scrolled brackets and mounted with porcelain panels depicting putti, raised on squat toupie feet, the movement signed T. A. SIMPSON & CIE. PARIS, striking on a bell
22cm wide, 35cm high
- with pendulum
- of nice appearance and in generally good overall condition
- the panel decorated with cherub has been cracked and repaired, as has the concave panel at the base (above the front central foot)
- no glass to the dial or to verso covering movement
- decoration to the dial and panels is good and bright; gilding good, a few small marks and tarnish spots, expected mild rubbing in places, but generally bright
- the side brackets/spandrel mounts require a little tightening, one with an empty screw hole
- Lyon & Turnbull does not guarantee any clock to be in working order. Condition reports are supplied on general appearance and condition. Please see our Conditions of Sale for Buyers, item 12(2) for additional information on the purchase of clocks, timepieces and mechanical instruments
Under the Conditions of Sale applicable to the sale of the lot, buyers must satisfy themselves as to each and every aspect of the quality of the lot, including (without limitation) its authorship, attribution, condition, provenance, authenticity, age, suitability and origin. Lots are sold on an ''as is'' basis but the actual condition of the lot may not be as good as indicated by its outward appearance. In particular parts may have been replaced or renewed and lots may not be authentic or of satisfactory quality.
Any statement in relation to the lot is merely an expression of opinion of the seller or Lyon & Turnbull and should not be relied upon as an inducement to bid on the lot. Lots are available for inspection prior to the sale and you are strongly advised to examine any lot in which you are interested prior to the sale. Our condition report has not been prepared by a professional conservator, restorer or engineer.