Lot 279: GEORGE III WALNUT AND GILT GESSO MIRROR 18TH CENTURY 136cm high, 74cm wide
January 25, 2017
Edinburgh, United KingdomLive Auction
GEORGE III WALNUT AND GILT GESSO MIRROR
the rectangular bevelled mirror plate in a shaped frame with gilt and gesso moulding marked with flower heads, surmounted by a swan neck pediment centred by a cartouche and Prince-of-Wales plumes
136cm high, 74cm wide
- the plate is most likely a 19th century replacement; it shows some signs of age and spotting
- some minor veneer splits and lifting in places
- some signs of overpainting and regilding to the moulded borders; a couple of flaked losses revealing the gesso ground
- finial is slightly loose
- repairs to the flowerhead and moulding on the LR corner
- minor losses here and there to the gesso decoration, the
Under the Conditions of Sale applicable to the sale of the lot, buyers must satisfy themselves as to each and every aspect of the quality of the lot, including (without limitation) its authorship, attribution, condition, provenance, authenticity, age, suitability and origin. Lots are sold on an ''as is'' basis but the actual condition of the lot may not be as good as indicated by its outward appearance. In particular parts may have been replaced or renewed and lots may not be authentic or of satisfactory quality.
Any statement in relation to the lot is merely an expression of opinion of the seller or Lyon & Turnbull and should not be relied upon as an inducement to bid on the lot. Lots are available for inspection prior to the sale and you are strongly advised to examine any lot in which you are interested prior to the sale. Our condition report has not been prepared by a professional conservator, restorer or engineer.