Lot 23: GOODCHILD, John: Original artwork to Fullerton's 'The Australian Bush' (1928)
August 28, 2016
Adelaide, AustraliaLive Auction
[GOODCHILD, John Charles] FULLERTON, Mary E.: The Australian Bush. Illustrated by John C. Goodchild.
London, Dent, . Small octavo (175 x 120 mm), xvi, 242 pages with 6 full-page illustrations and 8 headpieces or tailpieces (all by John Goodchild) and a generic pictorial title page plus a map reproduced on both endpapers. Blue cloth lettered and decorated in gilt on the spine; neat contemporary ownership details; a very good copy.
One of the publisher's Outward Bound Library series. + The original John Goodchild artwork (black ink on white card, captioned and signed or initialled in ink). They are listed in the order in which they first appear in the book (some of the smaller illustrations are used more than once); those with 'f-p' after the size appear in the book as full-page illustrations. 'Light in the Bush' (200 x 140 mm, f-p); 'Camel Team' (100 x 160 mm); 'Country Conveyance' (60 x 140 mm); 'Bullock Team' (100 x 150 mm); 'Bush Settler's Cottage' (150 x 230 mm, f-p); 'Aborigines on Trek' (150 x 210 mm, f-p); 'Droving Sheep' (120 x 170 mm); 'Harvester at work' (100 x 190 mm); 'Queensland Big Scrub' (100 x 150 mm); 'Country Homestead' (110 x 170 mm); 'Stump-Jump Plough' (100 x 170 mm); 'River Murray' (120 x 190 mm, f-p); 'Blue Mountains Scenery' (150 x 210 mm, f-p) and 'Australian Open Spaces' (120 x 220 mm, f-p). Apart from drawing-pin holes in all corners, and a few trifling marks of handling, the artwork is in excellent condition. John Charles Goodchild (1898-1980) was born in London, but emigrated with his family to South Australia in 1913. After active service with the First AIF he studied at the South Australian School of Arts and Crafts, and at the Central School of Arts and Crafts, London. It was during his second period of study there that he produced the artwork for this book. After his return to Adelaide in early 1929, he and his artist wife Doreen established a studio; he was a longtime board-member of the Art Gallery of South Australia, principal (1941-45) of the SA School of Arts and Crafts, and in March 1945 the Australian War Memorial commissioned him as an official war artist (Australian Dictionary of Biography).