Lot 4: Harris and Ewing
RR Auction: Photography Auction
January 17, 2013
Amherst, NH, USA
Description: Photographic studio in Washington, D.C., opened in 1905 by George W. Harris and Martha Ewing. Today, the Library of Congress preserves 700,000 glass and film negatives in their Harris & Ewing Collection. TLS, signed in an unknown hand, one page, 8.5 x 11, Harris & Ewing portraiture letterhead, July 10, 1913. Letter to a prospective customer, offering prices ranging from $3.50 to $15 on enlarged photos of the US Supreme Court. In part: "We wish to say, however, that no one has ever photographed the Court since Justice Pitney succeeded Justice Harlan, therefore, we only have photographs including Justice Harland and not Justice Pitney." Central vertical and horizontal folds, and mild scattered creases and soiling, otherwise fine condition. An exceptional piece of photographic history.