Lot 80: Hermann Hubatsch, Figure with Fashionable Clothes, KPM, 1912
December 2, 2016
Berlin, Berlin, GermanyLive Auction
Porcelain with polychrome underglaze painted decoration
Hermann Hugo Hubatsch (1878-1940) designed in 1911
Royal Porcelain Manufactory (KPM), Berlin, 1912
Underglaze blue scepter and orb mark with grinding stroke and impressed model number 9973, date letter M and M 15 in oval; embossed artist's signature HUBATSCH on the rear base edge
Literature: Bestandskatalog Porzellan (inventory catalogue porcelain), vol. 1, Bröhan-Museum Berlin 1993, Sp. 182, N° 170
Height: c. 27 cm
Provenance: Private collection, Germany
The figure is overall in a good condition, showing a blemish to the glaze at the top of the hat feather and further minor manufacturing flaws to the figure.
Hermann Hugo Hubatsch (1878-1940)
Hermann Hugo Hubatsch was born in 1878 in Berlin. He worked there as a sculptor and ceramic artist for KPM from 1903 until the 1920s.
Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin
The first porcelain manufactory at Berlin was founded on the suggestion of Frederick the Great by Wilhelm Caspar Wegely and J. Benckgraff in 1752, yet already 5 years later production was stopped because the king was not satisfied with the porcelain. With the invasion of Meissen by the Prussian army, many modelers and porcelain painters came to Berlin, where in 1761 the merchant Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky founded a new factory. This was finally bought in 1763 by Frederick the Great, who named it Royal Porcelain Factory and introduced the cobalt blue scepter mark. During this time, the factory began producing exquisite tableware in a late Rococo style, which was painted with flowers, birds and scenes after Watteau Boucher and Dutch masters in vivid colors. Famous porcelain painters of the manufactory were K. W. Böhme, B. Böhme and K. J. C. Klipfel; master modelers were Friedrich Elias Meyer and his brother Wilhelm Christian. Typical Berlin porcelain patterns on tableware were moldings, scale-ground borders, landscapes, birds and animals, molded basketwork patterns and pierced rims. After Theodor Schmuz-Baudiß took over as artistic director in 1798, the tableware was decorated in underglaze painting with landscapes and cityscapes in delicate colors. In 1871 the factory was moved to its present location at the Tiergarten near the Spree, so that the raw materials and finished products were finally able to be transported by ship. In 1886 the painting of porcelain tiles was added as a new line of production under the direction of Professor Alexander Kips. After the destruction of the factory during WWII, KPM was taken over in 1988 by the state of Berlin and since 2006 has been in the possession of Berlin based private banker Jörg Woltmann. (cko)
Shipping costs excl. statutory VAT and plus 2,5% (+VAT) shipping insurance.