Lot 1214: HOLLAND & HOLLAND A .303 CAL. NITRO EXPRESS ''ROYAL'' SIDELOCK NON-EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 17653,
December 8, 2016
London, United KingdomLive Auction
HOLLAND & HOLLAND
A .303 CAL. NITRO EXPRESS ''ROYAL'' SIDELOCK NON-EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 17653,
28in. nitro barrels with finely file-cut sight rib, open sights and two folding leaf sights, white metal inlaid sight lines and marked for 100, 200 and 300 yards, ramp-mounted bead fore-sight, the tubes engraved ''HOLLAND & HOLLAND. 98. NEW BOND STREET. LONDON. WINNERS OF ALL THE "FIELD" RIFLE TRIALS. LONDON.'', slim treble-grip action with removable striker discs, bolted automatic safety with gold-inlaid ''SAFE'' detail, elongated top tang mounted with a folding adjustable peep-sight, gold-inlaid cocking-indicators, best bold Royal scroll engraving, the underside with a cartouche engraved ''THE ROYAL HAMMERLESS, retaining traces of original colour-hardening and finish, 13 7/8in. figured pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, engraved and colour-hardened steel pistolgrip-cap (with trap) and ribbed horn buttplate, weight 8lb. 11oz., with a canvas and leather slip
Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that this rifle was completed on 18th August 1900 for the Earl of Yarborough.
Charles Alfred Worsley Pelham, 4th Earl of Yarborough KG PC (11 June 1859 – 12 July 1936), styled Lord Worsley until 1875, was a British peer and politician. He served as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms under Lord Salisbury between 1890 and 1892.
Lord Yarborough was Honorary Colonel of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry. During the Second Anglo-Boer War a new regiment was formed as the Lincolnshire Imperial Yeomanry, of which Yarborough was appointed Lieutenant-colonel in June 1901.
In 1921 he was appointed Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire, which he remained until his death in 1936. He was made a Knight of the Garter in 1935. Other appointments he held until his death were: Provincial Grand Master of Lincolnshire (Freemasons) from 1895 and Master of the Fox Hounds of Brocklesby from 1880.