Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Lot 4: KPM, Chinese with Parrot, 'Wedding Procession', 2nd H. 20th C.
October 20, 2016
Berlin, Berlin, GermanyLive Auction
Porcelain, polychrome and gold painted
Berlin, 2nd half of 20th century
Royal Porcelain Manufactory (KPM), established in Berlin in 1763
Design: Adolf Amberg (1874-1913), German sculptor of the Art Noveau, 1904-10
Underglaze blue scepter mark, orb mark in iron red as well as numbers
Height: c. 27.5 cm
The porcelain figurine is in good condition only showing a restoration on the right hand made by a specialist. The height measures c. 27.5 cm.
‘Berlin wedding procession’ (1904/10)
In the course of the engagement of the Prussian Crown Prince Wilhelm with Cecilie Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Adolf Amberg was commissioned to design the wedding gift of the German cities for bride and groom. Amberg’s drafts, already descend from the years 1904/05, were originally planned for execution in silver. But they were not produced until 1909-10 towards KPM purchased the designs of Amberg. The moving ensemble, which was rejected by Empress Auguste because of its laxity, became quickly popular. The so-called ‘Berlin wedding procession’ centerpiece, consisting of two fruit bowls, two candelabras, a jardinière and 20 plastic molded individual figures.
Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin
The first porcelain manufactory at Berlin was founded on the suggestion of Frederick the Great by Wilhelm Caspar Wegely and J. Benckgraff in 1752, yet already 5 years later production was stopped because the king was not satisfied with the porcelain. With the invasion of Meissen by the Prussian army, many modelers and porcelain painters came to Berlin, where in 1761 the merchant Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky founded a new factory. This was finally bought in 1763 by Frederick the Great, who named it ‘Royal Porcelain Factory’ and introduced the cobalt blue scepter mark. During this time, the factory began producing exquisite tableware in a late Rococo style, which was painted with flowers, birds and scenes after Watteau Boucher and Dutch masters in vivid colors. Famous porcelain painters of the manufactory were K. W. Böhme, B. Böhme and K. J. C. Klipfel; master modelers were Friedrich Elias Meyer and his brother Wilhelm Christian. Typical Berlin porcelain patterns on tableware were moldings, scale-ground borders, landscapes, birds and animals, molded basketwork patterns and pierced rims. After Theodor Schmuz-Baudiß took over as artistic director in 1798, the tableware was decorated in underglaze painting with landscapes and cityscapes in delicate colors. In 1871 the factory was moved to its present location at the Tiergarten near the Spree, so that the raw materials and finished products were finally able to be transported by ship. In 1886 the painting of porcelain tiles was added as a new line of production under the direction of Professor Alexander Kips. After the destruction of the factory during WWII, KPM was taken over in 1988 by the state of Berlin and since 2006 has been in the possession of Berlin based private banker Jörg Woltmann. (kre)
Shipping costs excl. statutory VAT and plus 2,5% (+VAT) shipping insurance.