Lot 78: Letters by Rabbis upon the Construction of the Bikur Cholim Hospital - Jerusalem, 1907 - 15 Important Signatures
November 15, 2016
Jerusalem, IsraelLive Auction
Description: Letter by the management of the Bikur Cholim Hospital, regarding the purchase of the plot and construction of the new building in the center of the new city, signed by five members of the management: R. Zvi Hirsh Mondshein, R. Feitl Berman, R. Yechiel Michel Pines, R. Asher Eliezer Lowy and R. Natan Yetekaves. On the bottom of the page, is a letter by Jerusalem rabbis with the date (in gematriya) handwritten and signed by R. Chaim Berlin, with additional signatures of R. Shmuel Salant (stamp), R. "Elyakum Shlomo Shapira" [Ra'avad of Ei?i?k?s and Grodno] and R. "Yitzchak Blazer" [Reb Itzelle Peterburger]. Jerusalem, Iyar 1907. Another letter with the signatures of six members of the Jerusalem Ashkenazi Beit Din: R. Chaim Ya'akov Shapira [Ra'avad of Kovno and Ra'avad of the Beit Din of the Perushim in Jerusalem], R. Moshe Nachum Valenstein, R. Aryeh Leib Son of R. A. D. [Hershler, R. Leib Dayan], R. "Lipman David son of the Mahari" [Shawkas, the Kotzker Rebbe, Ra'avad of the Beit Din of the Chassidim], R. Yosef Yehuda son of R. Y. HaLevi and R. Avraham son of R. David HaCohen. Jerusalem, Sivan 1907. The Bikur Cholim Hospital was founded in the Old City of Jerusalem in ca. 1859 and was one of the most important institutes of the Perushim - the Ashkenazi settlement in the city. The hospital was established following the ban on the missionary hospitals in which Christians attempted to draw the Jews of Eretz Israel closer to the Christian faith. After the settlement and construction of neighborhoods outside the walls of the Old City, the need arose to enlarge the hospital and a decision was reached to build a new hospital on Nevi'im St. in the center of the new city. 2 leaves, 3 written pages, 30 cm. The first has the official letterhead of the hospital. Fair condition. Wear, tears and adhesive tape at the folding marks and margins.