Lot 225: MAPS. A COLLECTION OF SIX LARGE CHINESE WALL MAPS
China in print and on paper, including the Library of Bernard Hanotiau and the Floyd Sully Collection
November 7, 2016
London, United KingdomLive Auction
1) 陸師學堂新測金陵省城全圖. Lushi xuetang xince lingjin shengcheng quantu [The complete map of Jinling [Nanjing] the provincial Capital [of Jiangsu] newly surveyed by the Military Academy of the Army]. [c.1900], 1160 x 960mm.
2) 中華新形勢大地圖. Zhonghua xin xingshi da ditu. [Map of the newly updated situation in the Republic of China]. 丹陽 洪懋熙編.最新改製版. Danyang Hong Maoxi bian. Zui xin gai zhi ban. [Edited by Hong Maoxi from Dan Yang [Jiangsu]. Latest revised edition]. [Before 1940], 1080 x 1160mm., geological map
3) 民國六年中華郵政輿圖. Postal Map of China, 6th year of Republican Period. 1917
4) Diakoff, J. Map of China. 象形中華民國人物輿地全圖. Xiangxing Zhonghua minguo renwu yudi quantu. [Illustrated Complete Map of the People and Land of the Republic of China]. 1831, 1490 x 2000mm, extremely decorative propaganda map of China
5) a large map of the Telegraph lines of China (1903) and a plan of Beijing (1912)
together 6 wall maps, all printed or lithographed maps, most folding or dissected, some tears and wear at folds (6)
Condition is described in the main body of the cataloguing, where appropriate.
"In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Sotheby's is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue.
NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE."