Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Lot 241: MAX PONTY
February 5, 2004
New York, NY, USA
CIE. DE NAVIGATION PAQUET / MARECHAL LYAUTEY.
41x29 inches. Hachard, Paris.
Condition B+: paper loss and creases in right margin; minor creases in image. Framed.
The Marechal Lyautey was built in the 1930s, and named after the conqueror of Morocco. The packet ships were used to carry cargo and mail with some room for passengers, and generally serviced the smaller ports which the large liners never reached. She, and her sister ships Djenne and Koutobia were in the service of the Compagnie de Navigation Paquet, sailing to destinations in Africa and the East. She was the first ship in the company "to be fitted with a twin propeller. From 1924-1939 she sailed between Marseille and Tangiers and occasionally further south to Casablanca, Dakar and the Canary Isles" (Orientalist p. 13). Cassandre's influence on this poster cannot be overlooked, but despite graphic similarities to the Normandie and Atlantique, this ship itself was far less glamorous than the poster implies. Orientalist p. 13.