Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Lot 90: Meissen, B-Form Coffee Service with Ornamental Dishes, 20th C
December 2, 2016
Berlin, Berlin, GermanyLive Auction
Porcelain, painted polychrome and gold
Porcelain Manufactory Meissen, established in 1710
Underglaze blue sword marks (2 cups and 2 saucers with Pfeiffer sword mark), incised and impressed marks as well as partially gilders and painters signets
35-piece coffee service with 10 ornamental cups and saucers as well as 10 plates
Décor: strewn flowers, gold bronze
Dimensions: see below
Provenance: private property Wiesbaden
Included are following items:
2 coffee pots; heights: 25.5 cm and 25 cm
2 sugar bowls with covers
12 cups with 12 matching saucers
12 plate; ?: 20 cm
2 cake plates; ?: 30.3 cm
1 centerpiece; height: 23 cm
The service is altogether in very good condition, bearing minor signs of age and wear. The painted décor is partially rubbed. The vase with small chips in the area of the mouth, one cake plate with fine hairline crack. 5 plates, 5 cups, 5 saucers and 1 cake plates each with two cancellation marks.
Porcelain Manufactory Meissen
Porcelain has been known in Europe since the 13th century, but always had to be imported from China. Thus it was mostly of lower quality the Chinese rarely gave their best ware to the foreigners and extremely expensive. As demand for porcelain became greater, European alchemists tried to discover the formula to create hard-paste porcelain. The production of the first European hard-paste porcelain was the result of a collaboration between the alchemist Johann Friedrich Böttger and the scientist Ehrenfried Walther Graf von Tschirnhaus at the court of Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony, in Dresden. As a matter of fact, it was finally achieved for the first time in Europe in 1708 to produce a white hard paste porcelain and in 1710 Augustus established Europes first hard-paste porcelain factory in the Albrechtsburg, a palace in Meissen. The so-called Böttgerporzellan actually had more of a stoneware quality and it was not until the year 1713 that white porcelain was available for purchase. Initially unmarked, the motif of the crossed swords was developed in the early 1720s and used from 1723 onwards. Since then, beautifully modelled and painted figures and table services were produced at Meissen, establishing its reputation as the pre-eminent porcelain factory in Europe. Outstanding potters, modelers and painters, e.g. Johann Joachim Kändler (1706-1775), Johann Gottlieb Klinger (1701-1781) and Count Camillo Marcolini (1739-1814), were employed at the factory, which dominated the 18th century style of porcelain, and Meissen wares and figurines were imitated by craftsmen at other porcelain factories throughout Europe. Meissen celebrated its 300 years of existence in 2008. Until today, Meissen porcelain is known for highest quality and originality and greatly appreciated. (nlu)
Shipping costs excl. statutory VAT and plus 2,5% (+VAT) shipping insurance.