Lot 3158: O/C 'Opera House' Dresden by L. Gschossmann
February 15, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL, USALive Auction
Description: Oil on canvas painting depicting, "Intermission at the Opera", Semperoper Opera House by Ludwig Gschossmann.
Condition Report: Under UV inspection, shows 1/4" area of inpaint in the extreme upper left corner.
Notes: Ludwig Gschossmann, German, 1894-1988. The Semperoper is the opera house of the SÃ¤chsische Staatsoper Dresden (Saxon State Opera) and the concert hall of the SÃ¤chsische Staatskapelle Dresden (Saxon State Orchestra). It is also home to the Semperoper ballet. The building is located near the Elbe River in the historic center of Dresden, Germany. The opera house was originally built by the architect Gottfried Semper in 1841. After a devastating fire in 1869, the opera house was rebuilt, partly again by Semper, and completed in 1878. The opera house has a long history of premieres, including major works by Richard Wagner. The first opera house at the location of today's Semperoper was built by the architect Gottfried Semper. It opened on 13 April 1841 with an opera by Carl Maria von Weber. The building style itself is debated among many, as it has features that appear in three styles; Early Renaissance and Baroque, with Corinthian style pillars, typical of Greek classical revival. Perhaps the most suitable label for this style would be eclecticism, where influences from many styles are used, a practice most common during this period. Nevertheless, the opera building, Semper's first, is regarded as one of the most beautiful European opera houses. Following a devastating fire in 1869, the citizens of Dresden immediately set about rebuilding their opera house. They demanded that Gottfried Semper do the reconstruction, even though he was then in exile because of his involvement in the May 1849 uprising in Dresden. The architect had his son, Manfred Semper, build the second opera house using his plans. Completed in 1878, it was built in Neo-Renaissance style. During the construction period, performances were held at the Gewerbehaussaal, which opened in 1870. The building is considered to be a prime example of "Dresden Baroque" architecture. It is situated on the Theatre Square in central Dresden on the bank of the Elbe River. On top of the portal there is a Panther quadriga with a statue of Dionysos. The interior was created by architects of the time, such as Johannes Schilling. Monuments on the portal depict artists, such as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Friedrich Schiller, William Shakespeare, Sophocles, MoliÃ¨re and Euripides. The building also features work by Ernst Rietschel and Ernst Julius HÃ¤hnel. In the pre-war years, the Semperoper premiered many of the works of Richard Strauss. In 1945, during the last months of World War II, the building was largely destroyed again, this time by the bombing of Dresden and subsequent firestorm, leaving only the exterior shell standing. Exactly 40 years later, on 13 February 1985, the opera's reconstruction was completed. It was rebuilt to be almost identical to its appearance before the war, but with the benefit of new stage machinery and an accompanying modern rear service building. The Semperoper reopened with the opera that was performed just before the building's destruction in 1945, Carl Maria von Weber's "Der FreischÃ¼tz".
Weight (Pounds & Ounces) = 18 | Height(in) = 44.5 | Width(in) = 40 | Depth(in) = 3
Size of Artwork: 35 x 31" sight.
Artist or Maker: Ludwig Gschossmann
Medium: oil, canvas
Date: C. 1940