Lot 1555: Post Medieval Russian Baptismal Icon with Iverskaya Virgin and Child
December 8, 2016
London, United KingdomLive Auction
Description: Dated 1876 on riza. A rectangular wooden icon with tempera painted icon of the Iverskaya Virgin and Child with silver riza, legend below; marked to the edge 'A.M.' and crown over '1874 / 84'. 20 grams, 58 x 68mm (2 1/4 x 2 3/4"). Ex Silk collection, London, UK; formed in the 1950s. In 1648, Patriarch Nikon of Moscow commissioned an exact copy of the famous Panaghia Portaitissa icon from Iviron monastery to be made and sent to Russia. Almost immediately upon its arrival, numerous miracles were attributed to the icon and the Iverskaya Chapel was built in 1669 to enshrine it, just next to the Kremlin walls in Moscow. According to a popular custom, everyone heading for Red Square or the Kremlin visited the chapel to pay homage at the shrine, before entering through the gate. Beggars and outlaws would pray there next to the highest royalty and even the Tsar himself. The chapel was demolished in 1931, but later completely rebuilt with a new icon replacing the lost original.
Condition Report: Fine condition.