Lot 931: SAML. & C. SMITH A .500/.450 (2 1/2IN.) ROTARY-UNDERLEVER DOUBLE-BARRELLED HAMMER RIFLE, CONVERTED BY G.E. LEWIS, serial no. 6622,
December 8, 2016
London, United KingdomLive Auction
SAML. & C. SMITH
A .500/.450 (2 1/2IN.) ROTARY-UNDERLEVER DOUBLE-BARRELLED HAMMER RIFLE, CONVERTED BY G.E. LEWIS, serial no. 6622,
converted from muzzle-loader, serial number on buttplate only, 26in. damascus barrels with Henry patent rifling, the tubes engraved ''(HENRY''S PATENT) CONVERTED TO B.L. BY G.E. LEWIS. 32 & 33 LOWER LOVEDAY ST. BIRMINGHAM.'', the undersides marked ''HENRY''S PATENT A&T NO.3 / 4'', matt rib with bead fore-sight and three folding leaf sights with gold-inlaid centre-lines, sprung rotary underlever, carved percussion fences, non-rebounding locks with bolted faceted hammers, engraved with acanthus scrollwork and ''SAML. & C. SMITH. PRINCES ST. LONDON'', retaining some original colour-hardening and finish, spurred triggerguard retaining its reference number identification tag from the Small Arms School Corps weapons collection, ref. no. 0742, 14 1/4in. figured stock with blued steel buttplate with elongated top-strap engraved with the serial number, the right side of the stock with patch box with engraved hinged trap retaining much original colour-hardening and finish, sling eyes, the stock also with an escutcheon bearing the motto ''SPES MEA CHRISTUS'' surmounted with a shield crested with a lion''s head erased, weight 8lb. 14oz.
Provenance: Research would indicate that the Coat of Arms, crest and motto were those used by Henry Corles Bingham (1810 - 1868) of Wartnaby Hall, Leicestershire.
Mr Bingham was a magistrate for the counties of Leicester, Derby and Nottinghamshire. He was admitted into the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1839, and was High Sheriff of Leicestershire in 1854.
We are greatly indebted to the College of Arms for their assistance in researching this information
Exhibited: Ex Small Arms School Weapons Collection
Other Notes: The digits ''3'' and ''4'' coming after the ''A&T'' mark are the use numbers of the Henry patent rifling record, indicating that these were the third and fourth barrels constructed by Adams & Tait (Birmingham barrel makers) under this patent