Lot 78: Studio of Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, Bt, ARA,
December 4, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Studio of Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, Bt, ARA,
"ST. ANN TEACHING THE VIRGIN TO READ"
sienna gouache, Chinese white and pencil
52 x 42cms; 20 1/2 x 16 1/2in.
This cartoon for Morris & Co., designed in 1873 by
Burne-Jones, is the design for the stained glass
window at the North End of the Chancel of the
Church of St. James, Brighouse, Yorkshire,
installed in 1874. Reference to the design is
made in the Artist's account book which is held by
the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge and is
referred to by A. Charles Sewter in "The Stained
Glass of William Morris and His Circle" (Yale
University Press, 1974), plate 469.
Within the studio, Burne-Jones created the original
pencil designs which were then copied in an
enlarged form under his supervision by an
assistant, in this case probably Charles Fairfax
Murray or possibly Thomas M. Rooke. Often,
Burne-Jones would work over the assistants
design in Chinese white until it reached its final
form; passing after that to Morris & Co's.
workshop for final production.
The collection of George Howard, 9th Earl of
Carlisle (a close friend of the Artist).
Laurence Toynbee, George Howard's grandson
Norham House Gallery, Cockermouth, 1973.