DEVANE ADVERTISING JUTE BOX COLLECTION WATCHES ANTIQUES(281 Lots)
by Estate Road Show Auctions LLC
281 lots with images
March 25, 2012
Tennessee Valley Auction Center
3450 US Highway 72
Killen, AL, 35645 USA
Description: The Estate Road show is proud to showcase a marvelous collection of classic vintage Soda-Pop, Gas Station, General Store, and Malt Shop entertainment & advertising memorabilia, form the outstanding collection of Mr. Orbie DeVane. Lovingly cared for over many years, these valuable collectibles deserve a place in any advertising or Soda-Pop collection. Our first lot represents a Original 1957 painted metal button 16 inch Drink Coca-Cola, with the recognizable yellow, Sign of Good Taste slogan, only used in 1957!! This fine example can be found on Page #93 of Summers. These intermediate Coke buttons can shine just about anywhere in a display. Research consulted: B J Summers Guide to Coca Cola 6th Edition; AND, Value Guide to Advertising Memorabilia, Collectible Soda Pop Memorabilia Identification & Value Guide; / both by B.J. Summers; Petrettis Coca-Cola Collectibles Price Guide, The Encyclopedia of Coca-Cola Collectibles (12TH Edition); AND, Petrettis Soda Pop Collectibles Price Guide, The Encyclopedia of Soda-Pop Collectibles / both by Allan Petretti. In 1886, John Pemberton, an Atlanta pharmacist, was inspired by a simple notion. One afternoon, he stirred up a fragrant, caramel-colored liquid and, when it was done, he carried it a few doors down to Jacobs' Pharmacy. Here, the mixture was combined with carbonated water and sampled by customers who all agreed -- this new drink was something special. Consequently, Jacobs' Pharmacy put it on sale for five cents a glass. It was John Pembertonâ¿¿s bookkeeper, Frank Robinson, who named the mixture Coca-Cola, and wrote it out in his distinct script. To this day, Coca-Cola is written the same way. In the first year, Pemberton sold just 9 glasses of Coca-Cola a day. A century later, The Coca-Cola Company has produced more than 10 billion gallons of syrup. Unfortunately, John Pemberton passed in 1888 without realizing the success of the beverage he had created. At that point, and for three years, 1888-1891, Atlanta businessman Asa Griggs Candler secured rights to the business for a total of about $2,300. Candler would become the Company's first President, and the first to bring real vision to the business and the brand. Asa G. Candler, a natural born salesman, transformed Coca-Cola from an invention into a business. He knew there were thirsty people out there, and Candler found brilliant and innovative ways to introduce them to this exciting new refreshment. He gave away coupons for complimentary first tastes of Coca-Cola, and outfitted distributing pharmacists with clocks, urns, calendars and apothecary scales bearing the Coca-Cola brand. People saw Coca-Cola everywhere, and the aggressive promotion worked. By 1895, Candler had built syrup plants in Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles. Inevitably, the soda's popularity led to a demand for it to be enjoyed in new ways. In 1894, a Mississippi businessman named Joseph Biedenharn became the first to put Coca-Cola in bottles. He sent 12 of them to Candler, who responded without enthusiasm. Despite being a brilliant and innovative businessman, he didn't realize then that the future of Coca-Cola would be with portable, bottled beverages customers could take anywhere. He still didn't realize it five years later, when, in 1899, two Chattanooga lawyers, Benjamin F. Thomas and Joseph B. Whitehead, secured exclusive rights from Candler to bottle and sell the beverage -- for the sum of only one dollar!! Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but The Coca-Cola Company was none too pleased about the proliferation of copycat beverages taking advantage of its success. This was a great product, and a great brand. Both needed to be protected. Advertising focused on the authenticity of Coca-Cola, urging consumers to "Demand the genuine" and "Accept no substitute." Although the first series of hand blown Blob Top Coca-Cola bottles had bee produced as early as ca. 1894, the move to standardization didnâ¿¿t come to fruition until 1916. The Company had decided to create a distinctive bottle shape to assure people they were actually getting a real Coca-Cola. and The Root Glass Company of Terre Haute, Indiana, won a contest in 1915 to design a bottle that could be recognized in the dark. In 1916, they began manufacturing the famous contour bottle. The contour bottle, which remains the signature shape of Coca-Cola today, was chosen for its attractive appearance, original design and the fact that, even in the dark, you could identify the genuine article. As the country roared into the new century, The Coca-Cola Company grew rapidly, moving into Canada, Panama, Cuba, Puerto Rico, France, and other countries and U.S. territories. In 1900, there were two bottlers of Coca-Cola; by 1920, there would be about 1,000. Perhaps no person had more impact on The Coca-Cola Company, than Robert Woodruff. In 1923, four years after his father Ernest purchased the Company from Asa Candler, Woodruff became the Company President. While Candler had introduced the U.S. to Coca-Cola, Woodruff would spend more than 60 years as Company leader introducing the beverage to the world beyond. Woodruff was a marketing genius who saw opportunities for expansion everywhere. He led the expansion of Coca-Cola overseas and in 1928 introduced Coca-Cola to the Olympic Games for the first time when Coca-Cola traveled with the U.S. team to the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics. Woodruff pushed development and distribution of the six-pack, the open top cooler, and many other innovations that made it easier for people to drink Coca-Cola at home or away. This new thinking made Coca-Cola not just a huge success, but a big part of people's lives. In 1941, America entered World War II. Thousands of men and women were sent overseas. The country, and Coca-Cola, rallied behind them. Woodruff ordered that "every man in uniform gets a bottle of Coca-Cola for 5 cents, wherever he is, and whatever it costs the Company." In 1943, General Dwight D. Eisenhower sent an urgent cablegram to Coca-Cola, requesting shipment of materials for 10 bottling plants. During the war, many people enjoyed their first taste of the beverage, and when peace finally came, the foundations were laid for Coca-Cola to do business overseas. After 70 years of success with one brand, Coca-ColaÂ®, the Company decided to expand with new flavors: FantaÂ®, originally developed in the 1940s and introduced in the 1950s; SpriteÂ® followed in 1961, with TABÂ® in 1963 and FrescaÂ® in 1966. In 1960, The Coca-Cola Company acquired The Minute Maid Company, adding an entirely new line of business -- juices -- to the Company. The Company's presence worldwide was growing rapidly, and year after year, Coca-Cola found a home in more and more places: Cambodia, Montserrat, Paraguay, Macau, Turkey and more. Advertising for Coca-Cola, always an important and exciting part of its business, really came into its own in the 1970s, and reflected a brand connected with fun, friends and good times. The international appeal of Coca-Cola was embodied by a 1971 commercial, where a group of young people from all over the world gathered on a hilltop in Italy to sing "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke." In 1978, The Coca-Cola Company was selected as the only Company allowed to sell packaged cold drinks in the People's Republic of China.
Condition Report: EXC condition, minor wear probable white script retouchView additional info »
Description: The Estate Road Show is pleased to present this first item of a large collection of antique & vintage art glass, all showcased in this sale. This gorgeous basket is a traditional 1910s era Bohemian gold foil entrained hand blown spangle basket, with a Bohemian narrow conical base, and a special vertical & alternating deflected double crimped rim configuration, finished with applied crystal capping. The applied rustic thorn crystal loop handle, was used by both elegant glass houses in England as well as Bohemia, but the English baskets routinely sported tighter radius rims, and most definitely more subtle mating points, plus finely ornate crimping. The color scheme of light caramel cased over opal glass, accentuating at the rim band is the final validation of this fantastic baskets heritage. Research consulted: Glass Museum Passau, European Glassware 1650 to 1950, Guide to the Museum / by Georg Holtl; Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880-1940, and Collectible Bohemian Glass Vol. II 1915-1945 / both by Robert & Deborah Truitt; Bohemian Glass 1400-1989 / by Sylva Petrova and Jean-Luc Olivie (photos by Gabriel Urbanek)Bohemian hand blown glass has been highly prized & sought after for well over 100 years, establishing itself, along with the Stourbridge region of England as the two hand blown glass capitals of the world in during the latter 19th century. Bohemia covered an area of central Europe (redefined by the First World War) with Moravia and Slovakia, with Germany to the West, Austria to the South, Silesia (Poland) to the North, and Hungary to the East. Although good quality engraved pieces of glass had been made for hundreds of years in the area, it was nearly all on colorless glass. In the early 19th Century there was a small supply of transparent enameling on colorless glass developed by Samuel and Gottlob Mohn, and later by Anton Kothgasser in Vienna. Because of the skill involved each piece was time consuming to produce and the output limited. Small Bohemian glass houses (hutte) copied this type of enameling, but the quality disparity with the practiced houses was obvious. Colored glass at this time was the province of Venice, who for obvious reasons, kept their methods of production a closely guarded industrial secret. However, in the early 19th Century three gentleman chemists challenged Venetian supremacy. They were Freiderich Egermann and the Counts Buquoy and Harrach. Their discoveries eventually led to inexpensively produced fine quality colored glass at a price acceptable to the emerging middle classes. The Lusatian Mountains were a mere abandoned forest, but offered everything that the emerging glass industry would need. Thanks to abundant stocks of wood - used as both fuel and as raw material, as well as abundant available Quarts & potash deposits, together with an already established glass industry that enabled this emancipation from Venice, the area saw phenomenal growth. By the 1860s a real industry was established of about 100 glass huts (factories) employing roughly 40,000 people. The well known colors of Ruby (deep red), Cranberry (lighter red), Amber, Cobalt (blue), green, and violet were hugely popular not just in the local markets of Prague, Munich, Vienna and Berlin, but with tourists (many British) craving unique & beautiful souvenirs to carry back to England. This influx of fine hand finished & colored glass into the British Isles, fueled the great coming glass battle, and in major part contributed to the birth and growth of the Art Nouveau movement, up until the First World War. In the 1920s, the resumed production of custom Impressionist Bohemian glass forms helped usher in the Art Deco revolution across all of Europe.
Condition Report: EXC condition, very minor wearView additional info »
Description: The ERS is proud to showcase this Stunning antique 1890s combination of an Incredible Graf Harrach Cranberry & Vaseline spangle brides plate with lovely crystal rims, and the Harrach signature M CRIMP. This gorgeous plate is supported by a Scarce & brilliant 1890s properly signed Simpson Hall Miller & Co. Grecian figural fine silver plated Britannia metal base. The special opal die-away to Cranberry, with the extra wide Vaseline band can be found displayed in the Glass Museum Passau, European Glassware 1650 to 1950, Guide to the Museum / by Georg Holtl, as well as other fine Bohemian references. This American & Bohemian partnership is simply outstanding, and in wonderful condition! Please see concise company histories below. In the remote mountains of Northern Bohemia stands the second oldest, continuously operating glass house in the world, from the lineage of Bohemian & Austro-Hungarian Nobility, and among the most prominent families in the Habsburg Empire, The Grafs (Count) von Harrach. The Harrach glass factory was founded in 1712 (2012 will be its 300th anniversary!) on the Harrach Estate, and initially run by Count Harrach himself. It is located in the small town of Harrachov in Northern Bohemia, less then a mile from Poland (at one time a part of Austria, and is now the Czech Republic). A Silesian ban on the importation of Bohemian glass in 1742 backfired terribly, as Mohammed came to the mountain, so to speak. To be able to continue working with the best quality glass, the finest of Silesian painters & engravers relocated to Harrachov to be at the source. The estate factory was transferred to the sole ownership & management of Count Arnost Harrach in 1763, and continued thusly until 1778, when Harrach leased the works to Antonin Erben. The Erben stewardship was successful until his passing in 1795, at which point, export became virtually impossible due to the ravaging of Europe by the French Revolution, and Napoleonic Wars. To make matters worse, subsequent to the defeat of Napoleon, before Europe could rise from the ashes, England seized upon the moment, and quickly assumed the mantle of the worlds glass producing center. The new Count, Jan Harrach was prepared to close the operation at that juncture, but the estate manager Martin Kaiser wisely intervened, and was granted both the funds & the power to rebuild the business. Kaisers reforms were so extensive & successful, that by 1800, Jan Harrach once again chose to take a proactive role in the companys management. In 1808, Harrach was blessed with the arrival of two individuals that would assure the companys success for the next half century. Johann Pohl and brother Franz Jr. (sons of the legendary glass refiner Franz Pohl Sr.) took the reigns, with Johann appointed Director of the glass works, and Master Engraver Franz Jr. made head of the workshop. Both brothers had long careers with Harrach, with Johann the Director surviving until almost 1850, while Franz Jr. taught specialized engraving techniques to a number of famous apprentices, with the Legendary Dominic Bieman being at the head of the field. During the Pohl era, giant strides were made in the use of Sulfide inclusions in glass, and Harrach completely refined, thereby virtually inventing the modern techniques of overlaid cutting to crystal glass. Augmenting its own spectacular production, Harrach glass blanks were so renowned for their quality, that they consequently became the most prolifically used line by other major Bohemian glass and decorating houses during the 19th century. Firms contracted to Harrach included Giants such as Egermann, Goldberg, Fritz Heckert, JosephinenhÃ¼tte, J & L Lobmeyr, Moser, MÃ¼hlhaus, and a number of smaller houses. After the end of the Biedermeir period in the 1840s, and upon Johann Pohls passing in 1848, Harrach undertook the production of popular forms, barely surviving until 1884, when Bohdan Kadlec, connected to the progressive Prague School of Applied Art, took control of operations. Embracing the Secession and Art Nouveau movements, designs were prepared for Harrach by the talented students of the school, and then executed in the factory. At the end of Kadlecs tenure in 1900, the company was producing over 1,500,000 pounds of finished glass! The turn of the century Art Nouveau glass was strongly influenced by Alfons Muncha & Julius Jelinek, and innovation continued until the disastrous advent of WW I. Harrach was destined to survive however, outlasting WW I, the 1920s depression, the German occupation & WW II. Today both the company and region are again in the forefront of glass production in Europe. Samuel Simpson served an apprenticeship to the firm belonging to Charles & Hiram Yale of Meriden, beginning April 1, 1829. The apprenticeship program bound individuals for five years to learn the trade in all its aspects, and at the close of the apprenticeship, the profound secret of compounding and fluxing the metal was imparted to the graduates. Before Simpsonâ¿¿s contract termination, Hiram Yale, the junior partner passed, and soon after this, Charles Yale, the surviving partner, went into a decline, which was precipitated by various misfortunes and discouragements. Soon after the expiration of Mr. Simpson's apprenticeship, Mr. Yale proposed to him and Mr. Williams, his former foreman, that they should manufacture the goods as a partnership under the Yale name. This arrangement went into effect on the 1st of January, 1835, and Mr. Yale died the same year. Mr. Williams soon after went to Philadelphia, and Mr. Simpson remained as successor to the Yales, continuing the manufacture of the same and other lines of goods. The business survived until January 1, 1847, when he sold his manufactory to John Munson, who had been with him a number of years. John Munson, proceeded to associate himself with two other enterprising young men by the name of Wilcox, and under the joint stock laws, organized an incorporated a company by the name of the Meriden Britannia Company. This new company was energetic, enterprising, and fully cognizant of market trends, induced Samuel Simpson to stock his business with theirs. This arrangement took effect Jan. 1, 1854. After this, Simpson took an active part in the new company, and was employed there until 1866, when Meriden announced plans to build a new major manufacturing & headquarters facility in that city, which would require the transfer of all satellite offices + personnel. In early 1866, Samuel Simpson, subsequent to a 33 year career with Yale & the Meriden Britannia Co. in Wallingford, left rather than relocate to Meirden. He had actively recruited skilled local artisans, and on the 2nd of July, 1866, incorporated under the name of Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co. at his Humiston Mills facility, located about half a mile west of the railroad depot in Wallingford. The founding of S.H.M. & Co. created a business which was of great importance to Wallingford, and for over 30 years was a mainstay to the welfare and prosperity of the town. The International Silver Company was formed by several smaller companies joining together as one large entity in 1898, ans Simpson Hall & miller was a charter member.
Condition Report: EXC condition, very minor wearView additional info »
Description: We are very pleased to showcase this large and scarce 12 1/4 inch precision cased pink Cranberry over opal glass (24) pie crust dimple crimped rim brides bowl by Mt. Washington Glass ca. 1885 to 1895. This was originally called Rose Lined by Mt. Washington, and is the late 19th century lead glass formula, as it holds a finger strike ring tone for over 10 seconds! An exact match to this bowl rim, with the classic 5 dimple configuration, can be seen on Page 21 of the classic reference Pairpoint Glass / by Leonard E. Padgett, in the form of a Pairpoint silver plate base & deep brides bowl. This Mt Washington bowl is larger and in spectacular condition sporting the most stunningly thin yet full bodied glass casing imaginable! Furthermore, there are no nicks or chips to the extremely complex rim. This is as fine a Mt. Washington brides bowl example as we have had in a long time. Research consulted: Mt. Washington & Pairpoint Glass / by Kenneth M. Wilson; Mt. Washington Art Glass Plus Webb Burmese / by Betty B. Sisk; Pairpoint Glass / by Leonard E. Padgett; The Pairpoint Glass Story / by George C. Avila; The Collectors Encyclopedia of American Art Glass (2nd Ed), and Art Glass / both by John A. Shuman III The Mount Washington Glass Works was founded 1837 in South Boston by Deming Jarves & Edmund Monroe. They maintained a close relationship with Boston & Sandwich Glass until about 1860. Timothy Howe & Wm. Libbey took over Mt. Washington in 1863, and William L. Libbey moved the firm to New Bedford in 1870. A reorganization of the company in 1874 brought Frederick S. Shirley to the firm as the new manager; and, under him, many new types of glass were developed and patented including: Burmese, Peachblow, Lava, Rose Amber, Royal Flemish, and Lusterless Satin glass. Mount Washington became noted for its brilliant cut glass and was awarded a certificate of merit for its exhibit at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876. In 1880, a Britannia works called the Pairpoint Manufacturing Company was erected on land adjacent to the Mount Washington Glass Company. The works were named after its first superintendent, Thomas J. Pairpoint. At the time, Mr. Pairpoint was considered one of the greatest silver designers in both England and America. This new company became one of the largest manufacturers of silver plated ware in the USA. The two companies merged in 1894 and became known as the Pairpoint Corporation. Pairpoint soon became a leader in the glass industry.
Condition Report: EXC condition, very minor wearView additional info »
Description: On the clock and under the auctioneer's gavel we present this Vintage 1960s Lithographed Velvet Pipe and Cigarette Advertising Display Sign, Velvet was a product of the liggett & meyers tobacco co, and goes back to the turn of the century. Velvet was the all American hot dog with yellow mustard of tobaccos, there are times when nothing else would due. Smooth and almost too mild, but when that urge for a mild burley comes, its Velvet time. Came to be in the early 1900s and was a wonderful blender, alas still a staple today it is not made with the quality of the past but this was a premier tobacco in its early days. The sign is circa 1940s or early 1950s*************************************************************************************HISTORY: John Edmund Liggett's grandfather, Christopher Foulks, was the owner of a snuff mill in New Egypt, New Jersey. During the War of 1812 the mill was razed by British soldiers. Foulks moved west around 1820 and opened a new snuff shop in Belleville, Illinois, in 1822. In 1833 he moved his tobacco business to St. Louis, Missouri, where in 1844 - 1847 (dates uncertain) John Edmund Liggett entered his grandfather's business. By 1858, Foulks's company was known as J. E. Liggett and Brother. Around 1869 the company created the first blended cigarettes, using a mixture of Turkish and Virginia tobaccos. A partnership was formed with George Smith Myers of Missouri, and in 1873 The Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company was incorporated. In 1876, Liggett & Myers introduced L&M plug chewing tobacco, during the 1880s it entered the cigarette business and by 1885 the company had become the world's largest manufacturer of plug chewing tobacco. John E. Liggett died in 1897 and two years later Liggett & Myers was acquired by American Tobacco Company. Liggett & Myers continued to release new brands. In 1912, Chesterfield was reintroduced as a Turkish-Virginia blended cigarette and in 1915 Burley and Maryland tobaccos were added to Chesterfield blend. It was in 1916 that Chesterfield became the first cigarette to add a moisture-proof, overall cover to the paper and foil pack. In 1917, the company built a warehouse and factory at Huntington, West Virginia. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. ************************************************************************************The Estate Road show is proud to showcase a marvelous collection of classic vintage Soda-Pop, Gas Station, General Store, and Malt Shop entertainment & advertising memorabilia, form the outstanding collection of Mr. Orbie DeVane. Lovingly cared for over many years, these valuable collectibles deserve a place in any advertising or Soda-Pop collection.
Condition Report: minor wear, damage to backView additional info »