Lot 153: Fred Pansing (American, 1844-1912) The S.S. "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria" 36 x 72 in. (91.4 x 182.8 cm.)
Life on Board, Maritime, Yachting, and Ocean Liner Paintings and Decorative Arts
June 22, 2010
New York, NY, USA
The S.S. "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria"
signed and dated 'Fred Pansing Sept 1907' (lower left) and inscribed 'Hamburg American Line' (lower right)
oil on canvas
36 x 72 in. (91.4 x 182.8 cm.)
The S.S. "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria" was built in 1905 at Stettin by A.G. Vulcan for the Hamburg America Line. Originally laid down as the S.S. "Europa" she was renamed "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria" prior to her launching for the Hamburg America Line. At the time of her launching she was the largest ship in the world. She had a tonnage of 24.581 gross tons, and her principal dimensions were LOA: 677.5 feet, Beam: 77.3 feet, and holds that were 50.2 feet deep. She had two funnels, and rigged with four masts (as a schooner) and twin screws. Her maiden voyage was on 10 May 1906 from Hamburg via Dover and Cherbourg to New York. During the Great War, the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria was laid up in the port of Hamburg, and then in March 1919, she was surrendered to Britain, who then chartered her to the U.S. Shipping Board. The U.S.S. "Kaiserin Auguste Victoria" carried American troops from Europe to America and made five crossings between France and the United States, bringing troops back from the war. On 14 February 1920, the ship was decommissioned and then chartered to Cunard, sailing between Liverpool and New York. On 13 May 1921, the ship was sold to Canadian Pacific; and re-named the "Empress of Scotland". The new Empress was refitted to carry 459 first-class passengers, 478 second-class passengers and 960 third-class passengers. At the same time she was converted to oil fuel. On 22 January 1922, the Empress of Scotland embarked on her first voyage from Southampton to New York. On 22 April 1922, she made her second trans-Atlantic voyage, sailing the Southampton-Cherbourg-Quebec route. On 14 June 1922 she switched routes to the Hamburg-Southampton-Cherbourg-Quebec service. In 1926, the Empress was refitted again, this time with accommodations for first-class, second-class, tourist-class and third-class passengers. In 1927, another refit resulted in first-class, tourist-class, and third-class accommodations. On 11 October 1930, the Empress of Scotland made her last voyage from Southampton to Cherbourg and Quebec. When the new Empress of Britain came into service, the once-grand vessel was sold for scrap. The ship was gutted by fire and sank actually breaking in two at the ship-breakers yard at Blyth; Later the yard raised the hull of the Empress both pieces were then scrapped.