Download the Invaluable app and never miss an auction from your iOS or Android device.
Russia, ca. late 19th century CE. A petite icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov, the most renowned 19th century saint of Russia. Seraphim was a healer and famous staret possessing the gift of cardiognosis (the ability to 'read' hearts). Ordained to the priesthood in 1793, he left at age 35 to become a hermit in the wilderness, as we see in this icon, kneeling in prayer donning a simple white tunic, birchbark clogs, and a cast bronze crucifix, holding a rosary for the Jesus Prayer around his wrist. Size: 4.375" W x 5.375" H (11.1 cm x 13.7 cm)
He blesses himself before his beloved icon of the Mother of God hanging in the tree above. At his feet are a hat, bread sack, gloves, and axe. The strongly modeled visage as well as the perspectival background suggest that the painter of this icon was very much influenced by Western art. Providing a nice contrast to this naturalism is the decorative border of faux enamelwork derived from Russian folk art on the borders. The borders are meticulously incised and painted to simulate enamel.
According to Jeanne Marie Warzeski, scholar and curator of the North Carolina Museum of History's "Windows into Heaven" exhibition, "Saint Seraphim (1759-1833) was the most renowned 19th century saint in Russia. At the age of 66 Seraphim began his career as a spiritual elder. Emerging from his trial of prayer and vigil, he turned to the suffering world as a healer, visionary and spiritual master. He was known as a hard but compassionate taskmaster who taught that every man could achieve Christian perfection in his ordinary life through the practice of prayer.
This icon most likely was kept in someones home. According to Warzeski, "In the early Byzantine Empire, the home became the primary base for the development of icon veneration. Throughout the ensuing centuries, icons continued to receive honor in homes and churches. To this day, many Orthodox Christians create for prayer and meditation in their home a krasny ugol, or beautiful corner, where family icons are placed. Guests entering a house customarily honor the icons in the corner by crossing themselves before the objects. An oil lamp is set near the icons and is lit daily, according to Orthodox tradition."
Icons (icon means "image" in Greek) are sacred objects within the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition. Found in homes as well as churches, these painted images depict holy persons and saints as well as illustrate scenes from the Scriptures. Icons are not worshiped, but are instead venerated for their ability to focus the power of an individual's prayer to God. As a focus for prayers and meditation for believers, icons serve as windows into heaven.
Provenance: Ex-Francis & Lilly Robicsek Collection, Charlotte, NC
All items legal to buy/sell under U.S. Statute covering cultural patrimony Code 2600, CHAPTER 14, and are guaranteed to be as described or your money back.
A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany all winning bids.
We ship worldwide and handle all shipping in-house for your convenience.
Losses to peripheries as shown. Expected surface wear with craquelure and losses to pigment and gold leaf as shown.
Accepted forms of payment: Discover, MasterCard, Visa
Auction House will ship, at Buyer's expense
Louisville, CO, US
The following are the TERMS OF SALE for bidding in Live Auction, Wednesday, March 23, 2017.
AUCTION will start at 8 a.m. MT, 10 p.m. EST, 7 a.m. PST - Live Online / Absentee Bidding only.
Please read the following "Terms of Sale" carefully. These terms are applicable to all bidders in this auction, collectors and dealers alike. Please do not bid in this auction if you do not agree to all of the terms listed below. Your submission of bids in this auction constitutes your acceptance of these "Terms of Sale."
1. All items in this auction have been legally acquired, are legal to sell, and guaranteed to be as described or your money back.
2. This is an auction sale, not an approval sale. By bidding in this auction, the bidder personally guarantees payment. The auctioneer has final discretion in all matters. In case of dispute, the lot(s) in question may be resold. Lots will be sold in their numerical sequence unless the auctioneer directs otherwise.
3. HIGH and LOW ESTIMATES are provided for each lot for reference only.
4. No lots will be released until payment in full has been made. Payment(in U.S. funds) may be made via personal check or money order, via credit card (MasterCard, Visa or Discover), PayPal or Bank Wire Transfer. For PayPal payments please use "[email protected]" email address for processing payments.
5. BUYER'S PREMIUM: A 24.5% Buyer's Premium will be added to the final price of each lot purchased through Artemis Gallery LIVE and will be paid by all bidders without exception.
6. CO SALES TAX: Appropriate Colorado Sales Tax will be added to all invoices, unless a valid CO seller's permit is on file with Artemis Gallery/Artemis Gallery Live prior to any bidding in the auction. Items shipped outside of CO (United States or international) are also sales tax exempt.
7. RETURN POLICY: If our description of the item is not as described, we will accept return of the item; however, WE MUST HAVE WRITTEN NOTIFICATION OF RETURN WITHIN TWO BUSINESS DAYS FROM RECEIPT OF ITEM BY BIDDER, as shown by FedEx, UPS or USPS tracking data, and the item must be received by us within ten days in the condition received. A written letter from a recognized expert in the field pertaining to the item in dispute must be presented for refund. No lots may be returned without prior written consent. Late remittance constitutes just cause for revocation of all return privileges. Return shipping is at the bidder's expense. In no event may any lot(s) be returned after fifteen (15) days from the date of the auction. As of April 10, 2017 ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
8. BIDDING will be conducted ONLINE / LIVE as the auction progresses. Bidders may place their bids LIVE, via PHONE or by leaving ABSENTEE BIDS via the Live Auctioneers auction catalog. Please keep in mind that Phone Bids will be accepted on a limited basis and must be arranged in advance.
9. SHIPPING: As a convenience to our buyers, all shipping services are handled in-house. All buyers will receive an invoice detailing their purchases, sales tax (if applicable), buyer's premium, and shipping/insurance charges. Items will be shipped only upon receipt of payment in full and will be insured for their full value. **For shipments outside of the USA, customs and duties may apply upon entry in to said country, and this fee, if any, is the buyer's responsibility. We will NOT falsify customs value on international shipments - what you pay is what we declare, no exceptions. There are a small number of international countries we cannot ship to. If you have questions about this, please inquire BEFORE bidding**
9a. REQUEST TO DELAY SHIPPING FOR LOTS WON: We are happy to delay shipping on all paid lots for up to 30 days with no storage fees. After 30 days, storage fees will accrue based on a % of invoice total.
10. ESTIMATES for each lot are given only as a guide to help gauge bidding. Lots may sell for a price greater than or less than these estimates.
11. STARTING PRICES may or may not be the actual price at which any item will sell. At the discretion of the auctioneer, starting prices may be lowered to encourage bidding, but this is up to the auctioneer.
12. The auctioneer may open the bidding on any lot by placing a bid on behalf of the seller. The auctioneer may accept or decline any bid, or challenge to any bid, as he in his sole discretion shall determine.
13. ALL BIDDERS must register in order to bid.
14. In the event a successful bidder fails to make payment when due, Artemis Gallery reserves the right to re-sell the merchandise and bidder agrees to pay for the reasonable cost of such a sale and also to pay any difference between the resale price and the previously successful bid, together with any incidental costs of sale and disbursements.
15. If the auction invoice is not paid for in full when due per invoice terms, including any applicable credit card processing fees, the unpaid balance will bear interest at the highest rate permitted by law until paid in full. If the matter is referred to an attorney for collection, bidder agrees to pay all reasonable attorney fees, court costs and other collection cost incurred by Artemis Gallery to collect past due invoices and that the services of process by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, shall be sufficient to confer "in personam" jurisdiction over bidder.
16. Buyer agrees that any claim of controversy arising out of, or relating to the formation, interpretation of performance of these terms and underlying transactions or the breach thereof, is subject to arbitration or judicial proceedings and shall take place within the County of Boulder, CO subject to the laws of the State of Colorado.
17. QUESTIONS? Feel free to email us at [email protected] with questions prior to bidding or feel free to call us at 720-890-7700. Please be sure to ask all questions at least 30 minutes prior to auction start time, as we will not be able to take calls or answer emails sent to us during the auction.
Auction House will ship, at Buyer's expense