Description: By Wolfgang GroÃschedel of Landshut with heavy medially-ridged main plate projecting forward over the belly, flanged outwards at its lower edge to receive a fauld and fitted at each arm-opening (the left damaged) with moveable gussets decorated with roped inward turns matching those at the neck-opening and surmounted by double-ended buckles to receive shoulder straps, and finely etched in bands and borders on a stippled and blackened ground with scrolling foliage and flowerheads, involving at the neck a pair of reclining nudes, and in the central band with trophies of arms (some light patination overall) 35.6cm; 17in Provenance Gallerie Fischer, Lucerne, 22 June 1960, lot 56 Harold L. Peterson, Christie's, 5 July 1978, lot 178 Wolfgang GroÃschedel was first recorded working for Henry VIII in the royal workshops at Greenwich in 1517/18 but returned to Landshut soon after to become a citizen there in 1521. He is recorded as owning a house in the New Town in 1549 and very soon afterwards started to receive patronage from both the Spanish and Imperial courts. He was joined in his business by his son Franz from at least as early as 1555 and died in or very shortly after 1562. The decoration of our breastplate resembles that of a series of armours thought to have been delivered by him in 1560 for the use of the Emperor and his companions in a Vienna tournament of that year (Norman 1962, pp. 12-13).
Dimensions: 35.6cm; 17in
Artist or Maker: Wolfgang GroÃschedel of Landshut
Date: Renaissance 1560 medieval
Provenance: Gallerie Fischer, Lucerne, 22 June 1960, lot 56 Harold L. Peterson, Christie's, 5 July 1978, lot 178
Request more information