St. Andrews, Scotland, 1782-1856 Crown superbly carved with a Celtic cross, long-nosed clubs, golf balls, scrolls, and other decorations Ram's horn insert to leading edge of sole, lead backweight Hickory shaft set with modern metal plaque inscribed "Presented by W. Mitchell 1967," sheepskin grip Overall very good, with a nearly invisible hairline on top head next to small missing wood piece.
This exciting club is one of only four known engraved long nose presentation clubs, and the only example by Philp. The intricate engraving features a Celtic cross. The religious symbol of the Scots and other Celtic peoples, it was the symbol the Scots carried into battle. The cross overlays crossed clubs and golf balls, all within a scrolling border, depicting a war of a different sort, on the links. This was probably used as a grand prize for a special club tournament. This club was presented to Braids United Golf Club in Edinburgh in 1967 by W. Mitchell. In 1998, Braids United sold this club in order to raise money for a new clubhouse roof.