John Tennant (1722-90), wearing blue coat, gold figured brown waistcoat and white cravat oil on ivory, signed on obverse, dated and inscribed Ætat 25/ 1747 and ADevis/ ft., gold frame, the reverse engraved with the Tennant coat of Arms Oval, 43mm. (1 3/4ins.) high
H.M., 1999 P.A., 1999 S.N.P.G., 2000-2003
John Tennant, second son of John Tennant of Chapel House, Yorkshire, was baptised on 6th April 1722. He was admitted to St. John's College, Cambridge in 1739 and was called to the Middle Temple in 1745, where he is recorded as Master of the Bench in 1779. He was buried at Conistone in Yorkshire in 1790. Although more famous for his full-scale portraits. Devis painted a small number of miniatures, and described himself as a 'Limner' as late as 1762. A pair of miniatures depicting Devis and his wife are in the Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston. Whilst unsigned, they have been given to Devis on stylistic grounds. A Lady, signed and dated 1748 was sold Sotheby's, London, 4 December 1985, lot 195. The catalogue for this sale cited the present lot as another example, and notes the unusual fact that it is signed with his surname.