More About this Item
Terms & Conditions
Fine & Decorative Arts Auction Terms & Conditions
1. A buyer's premium of 20% of the hammer price shall be added to each purchase to reach the total sales price, with a 3% discount if paid with cash or acceptable check (reduces Buyers Premium to 17%).
2. The total sales price is subject to applicable sales tax. PA residents will pay 6% unless a tax exempt form is on file.
3. Acceptable forms of payment are bank check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, & Paypal. No personal checks will be accepted.
4. Complete payment is required day of auction (if bidding live at the auction center) or upon receipt of notification of a successful bid (if bidding as absentee, phone or internet bidder).
5. Paid items must be removed from the auction center. Please note that online purchasers who wish to pick up their items shall not do so until the Monday following the day of auction, so that our staff has adequate time to process the transaction. After two (2) weeks, any items remaining at the auction center will be placed in storage. Fee for storage will be $10 per week per item.
6. Alderfer Auction can assist you with shipping arrangements. For more information call Linda Smith at 215-393-3007.
7. The highest bidder shall be the buyer and if any dispute arises between two or more bidders, the auctioneer will decide the buyer or immediately put the item up for sale again.
8. In the event of a tie between an online bidder and a floor bidder, the floor bid will take precedence. The auctioneer's decision will be binding and final.
9. The record of sale, kept by the auctioneer and clerk, will be taken as absolute and final in all disputes.
10. Some lots are offered subject to a reserve. A reserve is a confidential minimum price below which such a lot will not be sold.
11. Alderfer's will not be held responsible for error or failure to execute bid(s). Absentee bids must be in writing and a fifty-dollar minimum bid is required per item. Phone bidding is an available service and must be arranged in advance with our staff. We suggest that phone bid arrangements be made 24 hours before the start of the auction in order to ensure adequate processing time.
12. All auction inquiries must be received 48 hours prior to the start of the auction.
13. Purchasers may inspect the merchandise and are urged to do so. The Auctioneer makes no warranty as to condition and shall not be responsible for any defects in any Lot. All goods are exposed for Public Exhibition and, for Internet buyers condition is described in the listings. Item descriptions, dimensions and estimates are provided for guidance. It is the buyer's responsibility to inspect all lots prior to bidding to ensure that the condition is to their satisfaction. If potential buyers are unable to inspect lots in person, our staff will be happy to prepare detailed Condition Reports on individual lots. These are for guidance only, and all lots will be sold as described, as per our Terms and Conditions of Sale. It is the bidder's responsibility to satisfy themselves with the condition of the item prior to bidding.
14. 10 Day Guarantee Terms:
All items in the catalog are sold as described. See Glossary of Terms. All returns must be made within the 10 days following the auction. After the 10 day period all items are considered as is where is, without recourse. Refunds in cash or credit shall be for the purchase price only; shipping costs excluded. Any announcements and addendums prior to the auction take precedence over the description in the catalog. The guarantee is only valid to the original buyer. The item(s) must be in the same condition as when purchased. Discrepancies of description shall be decided by mutually agreed upon experts in the field. The authentication must be in writing and is at the expense of the purchaser.
Bidding at a Cataloged Auction indicates that you have read and accepted these conditions.
15. Glossary of Terms
If we say "c." a certain date, then it was made within 25 years of that date.
Authorship and origin is guaranteed unless otherwise stated as "possibly" or "probably".
Measurements are given within 1" of actual size.
Due to the sensitive and mechanical nature of clocks and watches, we do not guarantee them to be in running or working condition.
FOR PAINTINGS: Authorship:
Name of Artist-Indicates that the work, in our best judgment, is by the named artist. Only these works are covered by our 10-day guarantee.
Attributed to*- In our best judgment, the work may be by the artist.
Circle of* - In our best judgment, a work of the period of the artist and closely related to the artist's style.
School of* - In our best judgment, a work by a pupil or follower of the artist.
After* - In our best judgment, a copy of the known work of the artist.
In the Manner of* - This painting represents the style of the named artist but was painted at a later date; the authorship is unknown.
* NOTE: There is no guarantee the work is by the named artist.
Signature- The signature, inscriptions and dates are transcribed in print as they appear and are located as follows:
SLL: Signed Lower Left
SLR: Signed Lower Right
SUL: Signed Upper Left
SUR: Signed Upper Right
SLC: Signed Lower Center
SUC: Signed Upper Center.
If we state "signed", in our opinion, the signature is of the named artist.
If we state "bears signature", in our opinion, the signature might be that of the artist, but we make no guarantee that the work is by the named artist.
Measurements are given height before width.
Notwithstanding any other provisions of these Terms and Conditions, Alderfer Auction Company disclaims all warranties of authenticity of authorship for all lots consisting of works of fine art by or attributed to artists, authors or persons living before 1870 and, when no artist, author or person is so identified, works attributed to a period which includes any date prior to 1870 and all warranties relating to the identification of the period or dates of execution of property which may be proven inaccurate.
If we say "Chippendale Mahogany Chest of Drawers", we represent that the piece was made during that period.
If we say "Chippendale Style Mahogany Chest of Drawers", we represent that the piece looks like the period mentioned, but it was crafted at a later date.
***WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR VARIATIONS IN COLOR DUE TO PHOTO REPRODUCTION.
Complete payment is required in cash, approved check, or accepted credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), PayPal or selected debit cards on the day of auction. Please contact Linda Smith at [email protected] or 215-393-3007 for payment arrangements.
Alderfer Auction Company will assist bidders with their shipping needs. Call 215-393-3007 for further details.
For buyers bidding via online auctions, a buyer's premium of 20% shall be added to each purchase to reach the total sales price, with a 3% discount if paid with cash or acceptable check.
The Auctioneer makes no warranty as to condition and shall not be responsible for any defects in any Lot. All goods are exposed for Public Exhibition and, for Internet buyer's condition is described in the listings. Item descriptions, dimensions and estimates are provided for guidance. It is the buyer's responsibility to inspect all lots prior to bidding to ensure that the condition is to their satisfaction. If potential buyers are unable to inspect lots in person, our staff will be happy to prepare detailed Condition Reports on individual lots. These are for guidance only, and all lots will be sold as described, as per our Terms and Conditions of Sale. All goods are sold "AS IS" and "WITHOUT RECOURSE".