applique, circa 1900
brown patinated bronze, the lower part cast as the gaping mouth of a grotesque with a maiden in a long dress standing on its forehead supporting a flowerform bulb holder with her raised arms, openwork rectangular wall plaque, wired for electricity, with two iridescent green glass shades
marked 'B. Hoetger'
applique: 55 cm., 21 5/8 in., one shade damaged
Born in 1874, Bernhard Hoetger was trained as a stonemason and later as a sculptor at the Academy in Dusseldorf. In 1911 he was asked to join the artists colony Mathildenhohe in Darmstadt, where he contributed to their third exhibition in 1914.