Description: The Villa Carlotta was built at the end of the 17th century by the noble banking family of Clerici from Milan. In 1843, Marianne of Orania-Nassau, Princess of Prussia, acquired the villa, before giving it to her daughter Charlotte of Prussia as a gift at her wedding to Georg II of Sachsen-Meiningen. Today the villa houses a museum with works by Canova and Thorvaldsen. The representative view of the Villa Carlotta was painted by Carl Hummel in 1874, commissioned by the great-grandfather of the present owner who travelled to Lake Como on his honeymoon and gave the painting as a gift to his wife. It has been in the family since then.
Dimensions: 77 x 104.5 cm
Artist or Maker: CARL HUMMEL
Medium: oil on canvas, mounted on wood
Exhibited: VILLA CARLOTTA NEAR LAKE COMO
Provenance: Since its creation in the same family collection.
Request more information
VAT: Margin Scheme