Captain's Appointment Document in a New Zealand Volunteer unit, 1879, named to Courtenay William Aylmer Thomas Kenny as Captain of the Picton Rifle Rangers Volunteers, effective as from 4 September 1879, signed personally at top left by the Governor, (Sir) Hercules Robinson, and dated 4 December 1879 by His Excellency's Command, signed John Hall (Premier of NZ 8/101879-21/4/1882) and at the left corner signed as registered in Defence Office by Acting Under-Secretary H E Reader LtCol, attached to the document is a large impressed paper seal (1852-81) (65mm), designed by Benjamin Wyon and features a churchman on the left and a Maori chief on the right separated by a cross and scales representing justice, above and between them is the British Royal arms, legend, 'Victoria D.G. Brittanniarum Regina F.D.' at the top and 'Islands Of New Zealand' at the bottom. The seal in excellent condition, foxing on the document, folds, otherwise very fine.
Courtenay William Alymer Thomas Kenny was born in India to a serving British Indian Army officer. He was educated in England as was his Scottish born wife, also with a father serving in the Indian Army. He himself later served in the British Army firstly as an Ensign rising to the rank of Captain with the 88th Regiment of Foot (Connaught Rangers) (the Devil's Own) with service in the Crimean War and then transferred to the 94th Regiment of Foot (formerly Scotch Brigade). He and his wife emigrated to New Zealand arriving at Port Nicholson on 23 December 1856 where he established a rural property, Lochmara Run, in Queen Charlotte Sound at Double Cove Bay, renamed Lochmara Bay in 1857. He later farmed a property, The Rocks, at Double Cove. He was founding Captain of Marlborough Volunteers 1860-61 then Marlborough Commissioner of Crown Lands 1862-66. He was elected as representative of Picton electorate from 1866 until 1881 when he retired. During this time he was also appointed Captain and Commander of the Picton Rifle Rangers being a unit of the Marlborough Rifle Corps. He was appointed to the New Zealand Legislative Council on 15 May 1885 and served until his death on 12 December 1905.