Description: GEORGES PHILIBERT CHARLES MARONIEZ (1865-1933) Waiting For Fishing Fleets Return. Oil on linen. Signed lower left G. Maroniez. Good condition, has been professionally cleaned, with 2" x 3 ½" patch upper mid-left, inpainting upper mid-left and upper right edge. Painting measures 28 ¾" x 36 ¼". Gilt period frame measures 36" x 43 ¼".
Request more information
From AskArt: "George Maroniez was born in Douai in 1865 and died in Paris in 1933. He was the son of a sugar manufacturer in Montigny en Ostrevent near Douai (Nord). He made a career as a judge until 1905, but at the same time was also a painter and photographer; he studied first under Pierre Billet and then under Adrien Demont-Breton, son-in-law of the famous Jules Breton. Maroniez was a member of the Salon des Artistes Francais from 1889. (Honorable Mention 1891, 3rd Medal 1905, 2nd Medal 1906.) At the age of 22, he started exhibiting paintings of port scenes of Brittany and Holland. Defying the label of "marine painter", he filled his genre scene paintings with Flemish Realism. Using a luminous, caressing light, he transposed the grey country roads of his birthplace with light, and painted eloquent snowy landscapes. He painted numerous scenes of the fisherman's life, also peasant genre and landscape scenes. Maroniez captured the magnetic beauty of an ocean sunset, and the tranquility that beauty and light brings. He was a pioneer in designing and using small portable cameras, which he had patented in 1891, and that he was using to capture seashore and harbour scenes, later reproduced on large canvass in his studio. 1620 pictures on glass plates, of which 462 in color, have been preserved and are currently stored at the Mediatheque of Cambrai (Nord). Georges Maroniez married Jeanne Dutemple in 1899; they had three daughters, Germaine, Simone and Madeleine. They lived in Cambrai until 1914. The painter was drafted into Military Justice; he was awarded Knight of the Legion of Honor in 1918. The family was reunited only after the German occupation of the North of France ceased, and they moved to Paris in 1919, rue d'Aguesseau - close from the palais de l'Elysée. Georges Maroniez had his studio there, where he painted until his death from a heart attack in 1933."