Glasgow Athenaeum, Instituted 1847, Life Member's Ticket in silver (27mm), with suspension loop, a plain disc with two recessed channels around the edge, obverse inscribed, 'Glasgow Athenaeum/Instituted/1847', reverse inscribed, 'Life Member/Transferable/William Smith Esq.', in box of issue with gold blocked title on the red leather lid and the symbol of the City of Glasgow, namely the bird that never flew, the tree that never grew, the bell that never rang and the fish that never swam. Good very fine and scarce.
The Glasgow Athenaeum started in 1847 in the Assembly Rooms, Ingram Street, Glasgow with the inaugural address being given by Charles Dickens. In 1887 it moved from the Assembly Rooms to new premises in St George's Place, off Buchanan Street, Glasgow. The Athenaeum originally sought to provide, not only commercial skills, but also philosophy, literature, languages and music. Its initial membership was 1,612 and the first educational classes were in English grammar and literature, logic, French and German and soon after mathematics, elocution and Italian. Over the years other classes were introduced. Following the cessation of commercial teaching in 1888, the institution concentrated on music. The Athenaeum had a library, news room, club rooms and classrooms as well as its auditorium. Ladies, Gentlemen and apprentices could be members and it was the first Ladies Club in the city.