Loading Spinner

John Scarlett Davis (1804 - 1845)

Lot 91: John Scarlett Davis 1804-1844 , The interior of St Sulpice

Sotheby's

June 6, 2007
London, United Kingdom

More About this Item


Description

oil on panel

Dimensions

measurements note 30.5 by 24 cm., 12 by 9½ in.

Provenance

By descent from Sir Bruce Ingram to his nephew, Michael Ingram

Notes

St Sulpice, situated in the Luxembourg quarter, is the second largest church in Paris. Dedicated to Sulpitious the Pious, Bishop of Bourges, who devoted himself to good works and the study of Holy Scripture, St Sulpice is the second church to stand on the site. The present building was founded in 1646 by parish priest Jean-Jacques Olier who had established the Society of Saint-Sulpice. After the Revolution the church became a Temple of Victory with new murals painted by Eugène Delacroix including that of Jacob Wrestling with the Angel.

The present work is sold together with a picture of Figures in a church Interior painted in the style of Alfred Gomersall Vickers.

Request more information

Important British Paintings

by
Sotheby's
June 6, 2007, 12:00 PM EST

London, United Kingdom

For Sale from Sotheby's