Download the Invaluable app and never miss an auction from your iOS or Android device.
San Juan Summer Dance, 2008
oil on linen
signed and dated lower left: julian Robles / TAOS 08
inscribed verso: "SAN JUAN SUMMER DANCE" / 16X20 OIL 2008 / JULIAN ROBLES / TAOS N.M. / CAT. #61
20 x 16 in. (50.80 x 40.64 cm.), frame: 28 1/2 x 24 1/2 x 2 in. (72.39 x 62.23 x 5.08 cm.)
oil on linen
The condition reports for the lots offered by Santa Fe Art Auction (SFAA) are provided as a courtesy and convenience for potential buyers. The reports are not intended to nor do they substitute for physical examination by a buyer or the buyer's advisors. The condition reports are prepared by SFAA staff members who are not art conservators or restorers, nor do they possess the qualifications needed for comprehensive evaluation. Each condition report is an opinion of the staff member and should not be treated as a statement of fact. The absence of a condition report does not imply anything as to the condition of a particular lot. Buyers are reminded that the limited warranties are set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Sale and do not extend to condition. Each lot is sold as-is.
Private Collection, New Mexico
Accepted forms of payment: American Express, COD (cash on delivery), MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa, Wire Transfer
Santa Fe, NM, US
The following Terms and Conditions of Sale are the Santa Fe Art Auction Limited Co.'s ("Santa Fe Art Auction") and its agents' and consignors' entire
agreement with the prospective bidders, bidders and buyers relative to the lots listed in this catalogue. The lots will be offered by the Santa Fe Art Auction as
agent for the consignors, unless the catalogue indicates otherwise.
1. The Santa Fe Art Auction operates as an agent of the seller only. It is not responsible in the event any buyer or seller at the auction fails to live up to their
respective agreements, including failure of the seller to deliver any property to buyers. The Santa Fe Art Auction assumes no risk, liability, or responsibility
beyond the limited warranty contained herein.
(a) All property is sold "AS IS." There are no representations or warranties that extend beyond these Terms and Conditions of Sale. All works shall
be available for examination prior to the sale. The Santa Fe Art Auction, and its agents and consignors, make no representations or warranties as to
merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, correctness of the catalogue or description, including, but not limited to, the authenticity, the physical
condition, size, quality, rarity, importance, medium, provenance, dates, exhibitions, literary or historical relevance of any property, and, no statement
anywhere, whether oral or written, whether made in the catalogue, an advertisement, a bill of sale, a salesroom posting or announcement, or elsewhere shall
be deemed such a warranty, representation or assumption of liability. Nor are there any representations and warranties, express or implied, as to whether
the purchaser acquires any copyrights, including, but not limited to, any reproduction rights in any property. Contents of this catalogue are subject to change
or supplementation before or during the sale, including the sale of any lot.
2. Prospective bidders should inspect the lots before bidding to determine condition, size and whether or not the lot has been repaired or restored and to
investigate all other matters relating to the lot that is of material importance to the prospective bidder.
3. A buyer's premium will be added to the successful bid price and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price. If paying by cash or check, the purchase price will be the sum of the final bid price plus a buyer's premium of 22% of the final bid price of each lot up to and including $1,000,000 and 12% of the excess of the final bid price above $1,000,000, plus any applicable sales tax, shipping and handling charges. The buyer's premium is calculated separately for each lot. If paying by credit card, the purchase price will be the sum of the final bid price plus a buyer's premium of 25% of the final bid price for each lot up to and including $1,000,000 and 15% of the excess of the final bid price above $1,000,000, plus any applicable sales tax, shipping and handling charges.
4. Unless exempted by law, the Buyer will be required to pay all applicable state and local sales, gross receipts, and compensation tax. Proof of exemption
in the form of a current Non-Taxable Transaction Certificate must be provided at registration. In the event of deliveries outside the state, it is the Purchaser's
responsibility to pay any applicable compensating use tax of another state on the total purchase price.
Since the 2018 South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. ruling, most US states have implemented legislation requiring remote sellers to collect sales tax when the total dollar value of purchases sent to that state exceeds a set threshold. Each state sets its own threshold. Exceeding that threshold is known as creating an economic nexus. Like all other remote sellers, Santa Fe Art Auction is now required to collect Sales/Use Tax from buyers in any state when the total dollar value of purchases sent to that state creates a nexus. When this occurs, you will see sales tax included on your invoice. The sales tax rate is determined by the state, county, and city where purchases are sent. As of January 2021, SFAA has met the nexus in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.
The following states do not currently have sales tax and/or applicable economic nexus laws, and as a result the Santa Fe Art Auction is not required to collect sales tax from Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, or Oregon.
• Why Santa Fe Art Auction Collects Sales Tax: New Mexico requires a seller of goods to register with the New Mexico Department of Taxation and
Revenue and collect and remit sales tax if the seller maintains a presence within the state. More specifically, tax laws require an auction house, like
Santa Fe Art Auction, with a presence in New Mexico, to register as a sales tax collector, and remit sales tax collected to the state. Unless exempted, New
Mexico sales tax is charged on the hammer price, buyer's premium and any other applicable charges on any property picked up or delivered in New
Mexico, regardless of the state or country in which the purchaser resides or does business.
• Certain Exemptions: New Mexico allows for specified exemptions to its sales tax. For example, a registered re-seller such as a registered art dealer
may purchase without incurring a tax liability, and Santa Fe Art Auction is not required to collect sales tax from such re-seller. As sales tax laws vary
from state to state, Santa Fe Art Auction recommends that clients with questions regarding the application of sales or use taxes to property purchased at
auction seek tax advice from their local tax advisors.
5. The Santa Fe Art Auction reserves the right to withdraw any lot before or during the sale and shall have no liability whatsoever for such withdrawal.
6. Except as may be announced by the auctioneer, all bids are per lot, as numbered in the catalogue.
7. The Santa Fe Art Auction reserves the right to reject any bid. The highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer will be the Buyer, subject to reserves. In
the event of any dispute between bidders, or in the event of doubt as to the validity of any bid, the auctioneer will have the final discretion to determine the
successful bidder, cancel the sale, or reoffer and resell the lot in dispute. If any dispute arises after the sale, the Santa Fe Art Auction's sale record shall be
final and conclusive. The Santa Fe Art Auction, in its discretion, may execute orders or absentee bids as a convenience to clients who are not present at the
auction; however, the Santa Fe Art Auction is not responsible for any errors or omissions in connection therewith.
8. If the auctioneer, in his or her discretion, determines that any bid is below the reserve of the lot, he or she may reject the same and withdraw the lot from sale,
and, if having acknowledged an opening or other bid, the auctioneer decides that any advance thereafter is insufficient, he or she may reject the advance.
9. On the fall of the auctioneer's gavel, the highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer assumes full risk and responsibility for the offered lot, subject to
all of the Terms and Conditions of Sale set forth herein, and is immediately obligated to pay the full purchase price. All sales are final and there shall be no
exchanges or returns. Payment shall be made by cash, check or wire transfer. As set forth in paragraph 3, above, for an additional percentage Santa Fe Art
Auction will also accept credit cards as a form of payment. (Visa and MasterCard only).
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF SALE
SANTA FE ART AUCTION 173
In addition to other remedies available to Santa Fe Art Auction by law, we reserve the right to impose, from the date of sale, a late charge of 1.5% per month
(18% per annum) of the total purchase price, if payment is not made in accordance with the conditions set forth herein.
(a) All lots must be removed by the Buyer at his or her expense not later than ten (10) business days following the sale, and, if it is not so removed, (i) a
handling charge of 1% of the total purchase price per month, or a portion thereof from the tenth day after the sale (until its removal) will be payable to us
by the Buyer, with a minimum of 5% of the total purchase price due for any lot not so removed within 60 days after the sale, and (ii) Santa Fe Art Auction
may send the purchased lot to a public warehouse for the account of and at the risk and expense of the Buyer.
(b) If any applicable conditions herein are not complied with by the Buyer, the Buyer will be in default, and in addition to any and all other remedies
available to the Santa Fe Art Auction and its agents and consignors by law, including, without limitation, the right to hold the Buyer liable for the total
purchase price, together with all fees, charges and expenses set forth in these Terms and Conditions of Sale, the Santa Fe Art Auction, at its sole option,
may (i) cancel the sale of that, or any other lot or lots sold to the defaulting Buyer, or (ii) resell the purchased lot or lots, whether at auction or by private
sale, or (iii) effect any combination thereof. The Buyer will be liable for any deficiency, any and all costs, handling charges, late charges, expenses and
commissions of both sales, legal fees and expenses, collection fees and incidental damages. The Santa Fe Art Auction and its agents and consignors shall
have all of the rights accorded to a secured party under the New Mexico Uniform Commercial Code. The Buyer of each lot agrees that each lot is unique
and that Santa Fe Art Auction, in its sole discretion, shall not be required to sell or otherwise seek to mitigate damages should such Buyer fail to pay the
total purchase price. Payment will not be deemed to have been made in full until the Santa Fe Art Auction shall have collected good funds. The Santa Fe
Art Auction reserves the right to hold all purchases pending collection of the total purchase price, together with all additional fees, charges and expenses
incurred pursuant to these Terms and Conditions of Sale.
10. All lots (unless otherwise indicated by the letters "nr") are subject to a reserve, which is the confidential minimum price acceptable to the consignor. The
Santa Fe Art Auction, or its agents or consignors, may implement such reserve by opening the bidding or they or either of them may bid up to the amount of
the reserve by placing successive or consecutive bids for a lot or may bid in response to other bidders. In instances where the Santa Fe Art Auction has an
interest in the lot, it may bid up to the reserve to protect such interest.
11. Santa Fe Art Auction is the owner of images of each lot offered for sale and may use such images for its own archival purposes, as well as for advertising
and publicity in connection with this or future sales by the Santa Fe Art Auction.
12. These Terms and Conditions of Sale, together with the parties' respective rights and obligations hereunder, shall be governed and construed and enforced
in accordance with the laws of the State of New Mexico, without regard to New Mexico's rules concerning conflicts of laws.
13. Prospective bidders, bidders and Buyers agree that, in the event of any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to a sale of any lot, the party
asserting such controversy or claim shall provide written notice thereof to the other party; that any such controversy or claim not settled within fourteen
(14) days of delivery of notice by the other party, including, without limitation, any controversy or claim arising from, or relating to, the sale of any lot
or any of these Terms and Conditions of Sale, including the terms of this paragraph, the sole and exclusive means for resolving the dispute shall be by
binding arbitration in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Said arbitration shall be confidential and shall be pursuant to the New Mexico Uniform Arbitration Act, shall
be conducted before a single arbitrator, and shall otherwise be guided by the then extant New Mexico Rules of Arbitration. This Agreement is deemed
made in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and is subject to the internal substantive law of the State of New Mexico without regard to conflicts of laws. The award of
the arbitrator shall be final, and may be entered into any court having jurisdiction thereof. Each party shall bear that party's own costs of arbitration and
14. The Santa Fe Art Auction is pleased to present to art purchasers shipping options which are explained in the shipping form enclosed in this catalogue. If
you misplace this form, call or send an email and another form will be provided.
15. Results are posted on the Santa Fe Art Auction web site and, upon request, may be sent to Buyers, catalogue subscribers, absentee and phone bidders,
and other registered bidders.
16. If any part of these Terms and Conditions is held invalid or unenforceable for any reason, the remaining provisions shall continue to be valid and
enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
17. These Terms and Conditions are not assignable by any buyer without the prior written consent of the Santa Fe Art Auction. However, these Terms and
Conditions are binding on the buyer's successors, assigns and representatives.
18. No act, omission or delay by the Santa Fe Art Auction shall be deemed a waiver of its rights and remedies under these Terms and Conditions.
19. The Santa Fe Art Auction shall use reasonable efforts to contact prospective buyers who have made prior arrangements to place telephone bids in order
for these buyers to participate in the auction. The Santa Fe Art Auction shall not be liable for its failure to contact said bidders or for any errors or omissions
made in connection with telephone bids since telephone bids are offered as a free service that is undertaken subject to the other commitments of Santa Fe
Art Auction during the sale.
20. Santa Fe Art Auction shall use reasonable efforts to execute online bids in order for online buyers to participate in the auction. Online bidding is
174 SANTA FE ART AUCTION
provided as an alternative bidding service and should not be considered a replacement for bidding in the room. Santa Fe Art Auction encourages its buyers
to weigh the advantages and limitations of live online bidding when deciding whether to bid in the room or online. Santa Fe Art Auction shall not be liable
for any errors or omissions made in connection with online bids or the online bidding process. Although Santa Fe Art Auction will do everything in its power
to assure all online bids are recognized, Santa Fe Art Auction has no way of guaranteeing that the internet and the online bidding process will be free from
technical malfunctions. In the event of a tie between an online bid and a "room" bid, the "room" bid generally will take precedence. "Room" bids include those
bids taken from the live auction room(s), telephones, absentee bidders, or bids made by the auctioneer to protect the reserve. Santa Fe Art Auction will not
be responsible for errors or failures to execute bids placed on the internet, including, without limitation, errors or failures caused by (i) a loss of connection
on Santa Fe Art Auction's or on the Buyer's end, (ii) a breakdown or problems with the online bidding software, and/or (iii) a breakdown or problems with a
Buyer's internet connection, computer or system. Santa Fe Art Auction does not accept liability for failing to execute an online internet bid or for errors or
omissions in connection with this activity.
All winning bidders will receive invoices via email once all results have been verified. We accept payment via check, cash and wire transfer. Credit cards are also accepted and subject to a 3% processing fee.