Loading Spinner

Louis Michel Eilshemius (1864 - 1941)

Lot 93: LOUIS EILSHEMIUS, American (1864-1941), Bathers at the Waterfall, oil on board, signed lower right "Elshemus", 11 3/4 x 10 1/2 inche...

Shannon's

January 28, 2021
Milford, CT, US

More About this Item


Description

LOUIS EILSHEMIUS
American (1864-1941)
Bathers at the Waterfall
oil on board, signed lower right "Elshemus"
11 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches

Provenance: Ira Kuhlik Gallery, New York, New York (1960s); Private Collection, New York; Mr. and Mrs. Irving Kligfield (aquired from the above 1969); By descent from the above, Private Collection, Boulder, Colorado.

Other Notes:
Framed dimensions - 14 3/4 x 13 5/8 x 1 1/4 inches

tags: oil painting, listed artist, folk

Condition Report

Canvas: Not Applicable
Condition: Very Good
Restoration: Very Minor
Frame: Period
Comments:
Small repaired crack upper right.


In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Shannon's is merely a subjective qualified opinion. Frames on all paintings are sold "As Is". Frames may need some conservation.

NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING CONDITION OF A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF SALE PRINTED IN THE CATALOGUE

Request more information

Payment

Accepted forms of payment: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Money Order / Cashiers Check, Other, Personal Check, Visa, Wire Transfer

Shipping

As a convenience to the Buyer, Shannon's LLC will make a referral
for packing and shipping. For a preliminary quote you may contact Jeff Von Flatern at [email protected] or 203-453-8866.
Shipping is at the request, expense, and risk
of the Buyer, and Shannon's assumes no responsibility for the
items or the timing of delivery. Insurance for in transit items is the
responsibility of the buyer. PLEASE NOTE: We are working closely with our shippers to expedite the shipping of all purchases in a timely manner. Due to safety concerns and current social-distancing protocols, arranging shipping may not be as fast or easy as usual, we appreciate your patience.
Any purchase that cannot be picked up due to safety and health protocols will not be subject to any storage fees.

Fine Art Auction

by
Shannon's
January 28, 2021, 2:00 PM EST

Milford, CT, US

Buyer's Premium

$0 - 500,000: 30.0%
$500,001+: 25.0%

From: To: Increment:
$0 $499 $25
$500 $999 $50
$1,000 $1,999 $100
$2,000 $4,999 $250
$5,000 $9,999 $500
$10,000 $19,999 $1,000
$20,000 $49,999 $2,000
$50,000 $99,999 $5,000
$100,000+ $10,000

Extended Bidding

5 minutes/bid

Terms and Conditions

Conditions of Sale:
Shannon's LLC Fine Art Auctioneers acts solely as an agent for various owners and consignors. It exercises care in describing all items listed and uses judgment in attributing authorship, but offers no guarantee regarding authenticity, condition, or description. The items described in this catalog, which description may be amended by notice or announcement at sale time, are offered for sale by Shannon's LLC as agent for various owners or others authorized to sell the items. Hereinafter,Shannon's LLC is referred to as the Sellers agent. The owners or others authorized to sell the items are hereinafter referred to as Sellers. The person or persons acknowledged by the auctioneer to be the highest bidder on an item shall be hereinafter referred to as the Buyer or Buyers.

Shannon's LLC reserves the right to change the terms of sale by oral announcement. Any such change shall become part of the Conditions of Sale. By placing of a bid, whether present at the sale in person or by agent, by written or oral bid, by telephone or other means, the Buyer agrees to be bound by these conditions of sale.

1.The highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer shall be the Buyer. In the event of any dispute between bidders, the auctioneer has the absolute discretion to determine which bidder is the successful Buyer or to re-offer the item in dispute and resell it.
2.In the event of any dispute after the sale, Shannon's LLC's record of the final sale price and of the successful buyer shall be conclusive, Shannon's LLC reserves the right to withdraw any item before or during the sale.
3.Shannon's LLC reserves the right to sell items which are not listed online or in the catalogue.
4.Items in the auction are sold subject to a reserve. Such reserve is confidential, but in no case will the reserve exceed the low estimate. The auctioneer may reject any bid or increment not commensurate with the value of the lot.
5.Order bids are accepted. A deposit may be required. Absent parties may place bids by mail, email, fax or in person prior to the sale. Order bids must be placed 24 hours prior to the day of sale. Shannon's LLC will execute such bids up to the maximum amount specified. Shannon's is not responsible for errors or omissions in the execution of these bids.
6.A premium of 25% + 5% (Total of 30%) of the successful bid on Invaluable up to and including $500,000, and 20% + 5% (total of 25%) on Invaluable on any amount exceeding $500,000 per lot, will be applied to the individual hammer price of all lots sold, to be paid by the buyer as part of the purchase price. Payment may be made by check, ACH deposit or wire transfer. Visa, Master Card and AmEx may be used up to the amount of $1,000 per auction. We currently collect sales tax in CA, CT, NJ, NY, KS, MA, PA, VA, OK and RI and remit the appropriate sales tax. If we do not collect sales tax in your state, it is still your responsibility to pay the proper use tax on your purchases.
ALL ITEMS MUST BE PAID FOR WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE SALE, AT WHICH POINT THEY WILL BE RELEASED FOR SHIPMENT OR DELIVERY.
7.Limited Warrantee: Although Shannon's LLC exercises due care in describing the items listed and use good judgment in attributing authorship; it does not make any express or implied warrantee as to such authorship. Notwithstanding,Shannon's LLC may, but shall have no obligation to, consider any reasonable request for refund on the grounds of authenticity of authorship only and only under the following conditions:
A.Notification must be made to Shannon's in writing within 7 days of receipt of the item.
B.The items must be returned within 28 days of the sale, accompanied by written testimony from a recognized authority that the lot in question is a forgery.
C.The limited warrantee does not extend to the lots identified as attributions, school, circle, manner, or after.
D.The limited warrantee is applicable only to the original Buyer.
8.All property is sold "as is".
9.As a convenience to the Buyer, Shannon's LLC will make a referral for packing and shipping. This is at the request, expense, and risk of the Buyer, and Shannon's assumes no responsibility for the items or the timing of delivery. Insurance for in transit items is the responsibility of the buyer. All items must be removed within 30 days post sale or a fee of up to $20 per day will be charged for storage. Items not collected within twelve months of a sale will become the property of Shannon's.
10. Shannon's has retained the Art Loss Register to check all uniquely identifiable items offered for sale in the catalog that are estimated for $5,000 or more against the computerized database of stolen or lost artwork maintained by the Art Loss Register. A search certificate can be provided by the Art Loss Register for an additional fee. The Art Loss Register does not guarantee the provenance or title of any catalogued item against which they search, and will not be liable for any direct or consequential losses of any nature howsoever arising. The statement is not to affect, detract from, or override Shannon's Conditions of Sale, and in the event of any conflict,Shannon's Conditions of Sale will take priority to the terms of this statement.

BIDDING AT THIS AUCTION, WHETHER IN PERSON, BY AGENT, ORDER BID,TELEPHONE, INTERNET OR OTHER MEANS, CONSTITUTES YOUR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ACCEPTANCE OF THESE "CONDITIONS OF SALE".


After:A work of art or object made in the style of an artist or maker, but not by the artist. Sometimes refers multiples that may have used an artist's mold or plate, but were reproduced by someone other than the artist, including posthumous works. Can also be used to describe a direct reproduction after an original work of art.
Attributed (attr.):In our opinion, probably or possibly a work of art by the artist. The work is either unsigned, and/or lacks adequate provenance or authentication by experts in the field.
Bears Signature: The work is signed, but the work and signature may not be by the hand of the artist.
Manner of: Made in the likeness or style of an artist, with a slight possibility that it was made by the artist or by a follower or student of the artist. Also see "After" and "Attributed".
Possibly:Being something that may or may not be true or actual without guarantee.
Probably:Supported by evidence strong enough to establish presumption but not proof. We do not guarantee it to be true.
School:Usually relates to a particular artistic or aesthetic movement. It can also relate to an actual school or to followers of a particular artist or maker. Also see:"Manner of", "Style", "Attributed to" and "After".
Style:After the time period in which the style originated, or a more recent reproduction (ie: Style of Pablo Picasso or Cubist Style), used to refer to the style of a particular artist or artistic movement, generally made long after that time period.

Additional Credit Card Information

We accept credit cards for payment up to the amount of $1,000 per auction for any winning online bidders in our online auctions. We require credit card information to bid, and may use it for payment if you are the winning bidder.

Contract Information

Your bid is a binding and legal contract. BIDDING AT THIS AUCTION CONSTITUTES YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND ACCEPTANCE OF THESE "CONDITIONS OF SALE".

Payment Information

Payment may be made by check, ACH deposit or wire transfer. Visa, Master Card and Amex may be used up to the amount of $1,000 per auction. We currently collect sales tax in CA, CT, NJ, NY, KS, MA, PA, VA, OK and RI and remit the appropriate sales tax. If we do not collect sales tax in your state, it is still your responsibility to pay the proper use tax on your purchases.
ALL ITEMS MUST BE PAID FOR WITHIN 5 DAYS OF THE SALE, AT WHICH POINT THEY WILL BE RELEASED FOR SHIPMENT OR DELIVERY.

Shipping Information

As a convenience to the Buyer, Shannon's LLC will make a referral
for packing and shipping. For a preliminary quote you may contact Jeff Von Flatern at [email protected] or 203-453-8866.
Shipping is at the request, expense, and risk
of the Buyer, and Shannon's assumes no responsibility for the
items or the timing of delivery. Insurance for in transit items is the
responsibility of the buyer. PLEASE NOTE: We are working closely with our shippers to expedite the shipping of all purchases in a timely manner. Due to safety concerns and current social-distancing protocols, arranging shipping may not be as fast or easy as usual, we appreciate your patience.
Any purchase that cannot be picked up due to safety and health protocols will not be subject to any storage fees.

Buyer's Premium

A premium of 25% + 5% (Total of 30%) of the successful bid on Invaluable up to and including $500,000, and 20% + 5% (total of 25%) on Invaluable on any amount exceeding $500,000 per lot, will be applied to the individual hammer price of all lots sold, to be paid by the buyer as part of the purchase price. Payment may be made by check, ACH deposit or wire transfer. Visa, Master Card and Amex may be used up to the amount of $1,000 per auction. We currently collect sales tax in CA, CT, NJ, NY, MA, VA, PA, KS, OK and RI and remit the appropriate sales tax. If we do not collect sales tax in your state, it is still your responsibility to pay the proper use tax on your purchases.
ALL ITEMS MUST BE PAID FOR WITHIN 5 DAYS OF THE SALE, AT WHICH POINT THEY WILL BE RELEASED FOR SHIPMENT OR DELIVERY.

Taxes on your purchase

We currently collect sales tax in CA, CT, NJ, NY, MA, VA, PA, KS, OK and RI and remit the appropriate sales tax. If we do not collect sales tax in your state, it is still your responsibility to pay the proper use tax on your purchases.
ALL ITEMS MUST BE PAID FOR WITHIN 5 DAYS OF THE SALE, AT WHICH POINT THEY WILL BE RELEASED FOR SHIPMENT OR DELIVERY

Condition Statement

Shannon's LLC Fine Art Auctioneers acts solely as an agent for various owners and consignors. It exercises care in describing all items listed and uses judgment in attributing authorship, but offers no guarantee regarding authenticity, condition, or description. The items described in this catalog, which description may be amended by notice or announcement at sale time, are offered for sale by Shannon's LLC as agent for various owners or others authorized to sell the items.

Glossary of Terms:
After:A work of art or object made in the style of an artist or maker, but not by the artist. Sometimes refers multiples that may have used an artist's mold or plate, but were reproduced by someone other than the artist, including posthumous works. Can also be used to describe a direct reproduction after an original work of art.
Attributed (attr.):In our opinion, probably or possibly a work of art by the artist. The work is either unsigned, and/or lacks adequate provenance or authentication by experts in the field.
Bears Signature: The work is signed, but the work and signature may not be by the hand of the artist.
Manner of: Made in the likeness or style of an artist, with a slight possibility that it was made by the artist or by a follower or student of the artist. Also see "After" and "Attributed".
Possibly:Being something that may or may not be true or actual without guarantee.
Probably:Supported by evidence strong enough to establish presumption but not proof. We do not guarantee it to be true.
School:Usually relates to a particular artistic or aesthetic movement. It can also relate to an actual school or to followers of a particular artist or maker. Also see:"Manner of", "Style", "Attributed to" and "After".
Style:After the time period in which the style originated, or a more recent reproduction (ie: Style of Pablo Picasso or Cubist Style), used to refer to the style of a particular artist or artistic movement, generally made long after that time period.