1. Victorian Local Forces Fifteen Years Badge c1880s in gold (11.22g; 53x59cm); Victorian Local Forces Ten Years Badge in gold and silver (14.05g; 46x49cm), lion missing from top; Victorian Local Forces Five Years Badge in silver (10.5g; 46x57cm).
2. An impressive silver shooting trophy hallmarked by manufacturer, 'W.Edwards, Melbourne', features a cup cradled above three crossed rifles resting on a base, one side of the cup is engraved with a garter belt and this is inscribed, 'Emerald Hill Rifle Club', inside the belt is inscribed, 'Presented/to the Club by the/Borough Council/Of/Emerald Hill/for competition/By Members of the Emerald Hill Artillery/Corps/subject to the regulations of the Club./Octr 1871/J.Nimmo. J.P./Mayor', on the other side of the cup inside an engraved shield is also inscribed, 'Competed For In 47 Matches/5 Shots Ea. 200. 500. 600 Yds./Finally Won by/Captn T.De B. Twycross 23rd Oct.1875.' Together with much research on the trophy maker, William Edwards, who is regarded as perhaps the most prolific and distinguished colonial Australian gold and silversmith who arrived in Melbourne in July 1857 from London aboard the ship, Blanche Moore. His works are much sought after.
3. Small brass figure (6.5cm) of an 1880's period soldier that fits onto a decorative, raised silver base (10cm diameter), figure loose and needs re-gluing to base.
4. Book titled, Victorian Land Forces 1853-1883 by George F.Ward, soft cover, 155pp (Capt Twycross mentioned on 2pp).
5. Small framed photo (9x12.8cm) of T de B Twycross in uniform wearing his Victoria Volunteer Long and Efficient Service Medal, one of his Years Service Badges and a Victorian Volunteer's Marksman badge.
VVL&ESM: Capt Twycross received his award at a large gathering of volunteers at Melbourne Town Hall on Wednesday evening 26 January 1881. The medals were presented by Colonel Anderson who read the following memo: 'The honour of presenting the first issue of the medals in question having devolved on the officer commanding the local forces, it is his duty to provide against mis-conceptions, which might result from a verbal address. On an occasion of so much interest and importance to the volunteer force, a clear understanding should exist as to mode in which volunteers are to prefer claims, and manner in which the medals are to be awarded. In G.O., No.77/80, it was intimated to the force that the medals would issue. After consultation with several experienced officers, the 'conditions' published on the 20th August, 1880, under the heading of 'Conditions for the issue to officers and men serving under the Volunteer Statute, 1865, of a medal 'for long and efficient service' were promulgated, and also printed on the reverse side of the 'forms' supplied to the commanding officers for claimants.' The recipients then came forward and were cheered heartily as they mounted the platform where Col Anderson pinned the medal to each man's chest.
Vol LSM: Vic Mil G.O. No.37 9/5/1898, p136 to Capt T. de B.Twycross, Retired List.
CAFLSM: CG No.44 12/9/1902, p481 to Capt Thomas de Blois Twycross, Retired List.
The award of the above shooting trophy was reported in The Age (Melbourne) Mon 8 Nov 1875 as follows.
At the weekly parade of the Emerald Hill Artillery Corps held on Friday last, a handsome s