Download the Invaluable app and never miss an auction from your iOS or Android device.
Fine & Decorative Arts Auction Terms & Conditions
1. A buyer's premium of 20% of the hammer price (plus 5% online bidding fee) shall be added to each purchase to reach the total sales price.
2. The total sales price is subject to applicable sales tax. PA residents will pay 6% unless a tax exempt form is on file.
3. Acceptable forms of payment are Visa, MasterCard, Discover, & Paypal.
4. Complete payment is required day of auction. Payments for all online purchases will be processed through credit card and Paypal only. Credit cards will be charged at the time of purchase. No checks or cash will be accepted. Returns or Insufficient funds results in a $35 fee for each specific item.
5. Paid items must be removed from the auction center. Please note that online purchasers who wish to pick up their items shall not do so until the Monday following the day of auction, so that our staff has adequate time to process the transaction. After two (2) weeks, any items remaining at the auction center will be placed in storage. Fee for storage will be $10 per week per item.
6. Alderfer Auction will assist you with shipping arrangements by providing third party shipping contacts.
7. The highest bidder shall be the buyer and if any dispute arises between two or more bidders, the auctioneer will decide the buyer or immediately put the item up for sale again.
8. In the event of a tie between an online bidder and a floor bidder, the floor bid will take precedence. The auctioneer's decision will be binding and final.
9. The record of sale, kept by the auctioneer and clerk, will be taken as absolute and final in all disputes.
10. Some lots are offered subject to a reserve. A reserve is a confidential minimum price below which such a lot will not be sold.
11. Alderfer's will not be held responsible for error or failure to execute bid(s). Absentee bids must be in writing and a fifty-dollar minimum bid is required per item. Phone bidding is an available service and must be arranged in advance with our staff. We suggest that phone bid arrangements be made 24 hours before the start of the auction in order to ensure adequate processing time. All phone bids are required to start at a minimum of half of the low estimate.
12. All auction inquiries must be received 48 hours prior to the start of the auction.
13. While every effort is made to determine provenance, authenticity and condition, it is the responsibility of the Bidder to arrive at their own conclusion prior to bidding. Provenance and authenticity including attributions are guaranteed by neither the consignor nor Alderfer Auction Company.
Alderfer Auction Company strongly encourages bidders to personally inspect all lots. While Alderfer's is not obligated to provide a condition report of each lot, Bidders may feel free to contact the Auction Company for a condition report, Alderfer's will attempt to furnish one, but shall not be liable for failing to do so. The Bidder should review online descriptions to obtain necessary information. Statements by Alderfer Auction Company regarding the condition of objects are for guidance only and should not be relied upon as statements of fact, and do not constitute a representation, warranty, or assumption of liability by Alderfer's. All lots offered regardless of a condition report are sold "AS IS".
14. Glossary of Terms
If we say "c." a certain date, then it was made within 25 years of that date.
Authorship and origin is guaranteed unless otherwise stated as "possibly" or "probably".
Measurements are given within 1" of actual size.
Due to the sensitive and mechanical nature of clocks and watches, we do not guarantee them to be in running or working condition.
FOR PAINTINGS: Authorship:
Name of Artist-Indicates that the work, in our best judgment, is by the named artist. Only these works are covered by our 10-day guarantee.
Attributed to*- In our best judgment, the work may be by the artist.
Circle of* - In our best judgment, a work of the period of the artist and closely related to the artist's style.
School of* - In our best judgment, a work by a pupil or follower of the artist.
After* - In our best judgment, a copy of the known work of the artist.
In the Manner of* - This painting represents the style of the named artist but was painted at a later date; the authorship is unknown.
* NOTE: There is no guarantee the work is by the named artist.
Signature- The signature, inscriptions and dates are transcribed in print as they appear and are located as follows:
SLL: Signed Lower Left
SLR: Signed Lower Right
SUL: Signed Upper Left
SUR: Signed Upper Right
SLC: Signed Lower Center
SUC: Signed Upper Center.
If we state "signed", in our opinion, the signature is of the named artist.
If we state "bears signature", in our opinion, the signature might be that of the artist, but we make no guarantee that the work is by the named artist.
Measurements are given height before width.
Notwithstanding any other provisions of these Terms and Conditions, Alderfer Auction Company disclaims all warranties of authenticity of authorship for all lots consisting of works of fine art by or attributed to artists, authors or persons living before 1870 and, when no artist, author or person is so identified, works attributed to a period which includes any date prior to 1870 and all warranties relating to the identification of the period or dates of execution of property which may be proven inaccurate.
If we say "Chippendale Mahogany Chest of Drawers", we represent that the piece was made during that period.
If we say "Chippendale Style Mahogany Chest of Drawers", we represent that the piece looks like the period mentioned, but it was crafted at a later date.
***WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR VARIATIONS IN COLOR DUE TO PHOTO REPRODUCTION.
Payments for all online purchases will be processed through credit card and Paypal only. Credit cards will be charged at the time of purchase. No checks or cash will be accepted. Returns or Insufficient funds results in a $35 fee for each specific item. Any questions please call Diane Nyce 215-393-3007 or email [email protected]
Alderfer's offers third party shipping. Please contact one of the following.
The UPS Store
The Hatfield Crossing Center
1250 Bethlehem Pike
Hatfield, PA 19440
The Packaging Store in Lansdale, PA
For buyers bidding via online auctions, a buyer's premium of 25% shall be added to each purchase to reach the total sales price.
WE DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE A CREDIT CARD IF YOU HAVE IS ON FILE. Payment is due at pick-up by cash, local check (if known by auction firm) or major credit card.
All items sold AS IS, with no warranty expressed or implied for descriptions, we strongly encourage you to preview items prior to bidding. Descriptions, including conditions, are offered as a courtesy to bidder and should be considered as an opinion only and not a statement of fact. It is the buyers responsibility to preview in person any items being sold. A buyers premium will be added to final bids. Payment and pick-up of purchases must be settled and removed by end of specified pick-up time. Any items not removed by the end of stated pick-up will be considered abandoned and disposed of at auctioneers discretion or re-sold.
Items will begin to close at specified time, following items will close 1 minute thereafter. Items with bids placed in the last 5 minutes will automatically extend the bid closing time.