Request more information
oil on canvas
bears the artist’s studio stamp lower right
authenticated by the son of the artist on the reverse
59 x 49 cm
private collection, Thessaloniki.
We are grateful to Mr Constantinos Rengos, son of the artist, for his assistance in cataloguing this work.
Polykleitos Regos was born on the island of Naxos in 1903. In 1913, he moved to Thessaloniki with his family.
In 1920, he enrolled at The School of Fine Arts, Athens, where he studied painting under Spyros Vikatos Dimitrios Geraniotis, Georgios Jakobides, Georgios Roilos and Nikolaos Lytras.
In 1926, he visited Mount Athos for the first time. The landscape and art in Athos would influence his later work.
In 1930, he married painter Georgia Mandopoulou and the same year moved to Paris where they lived until 1935. There he attended painting classes at Académie de la Grande Chaumière and Colarossi. He also studied wood engraving with Demetrios Galanis.
In 1933, he returned to Mount Athos and in 1934 in Paris he published: Mont Athos, Gravures sur bois, with wood engravings and a preface by C. Diehl.
In 1935, he returned to Thessaloniki with his family.
He painted many subject matters and experimented with many techniques, merging different styles and traditions, as a result he is considered to be the most representative artist of the so-called ‘Thessaloniki School’. Among his most famous paintings are
Lavra Monastery (1935-40),
Portrait of the Artist's Wife (1940-44),
Greco's House at Toledo (1951-60), and
Grigoriou Monastery on Athos (1971-80).
Regos exhibited his work in numerous group and solo exhibitions in Greece and abroad. His work can be found in: The National Gallery of Greece, The Municipal Gallery Athens, The Municipal Gallery Thessaloniki,The Municipal Gallery Rhodes, The Leventis Gallery and many other public and private collections.