HOUNDS AT WOODFOLD PARK, NEAR BLACKBURN oil on canvas 28 by 36 in. 71.1 by 91.4 cm. Woodfold Park at Mellor, three miles from Blackburn, originally comprised a landscaped park including a lake, plantations, an orangerie, and three different sets of lodges. It was the creation of Henry Sudell, a Blackburn cotton manufacturer who built it between 1797-99. Sudell went bankrupt in 1827 and Woodfold Park was sold to John Fowden Hindle. The estate then passed by descent to the present owner, the 2nd Lord Alvingham. Woodfold Park was described by Murray's Lancashire Architectural Guide as "a perfect example of late eighteenth century design.' The architect was Charles McNiven. After the Second World War, Woodfold Park was abandoned and the house is now a ruin. The only surviving features are the walls of the ashlar and the giant portico with reeded spalatro capitals. Provenance: The Hindle Family, Woodfold Park By descent.