Download the Invaluable app and never miss an auction from your iOS or Android device.
Julian Robles (American, b. 1933). "Navajo Boy" pastel, ca. 1978. Signed "Julian Robles Taos" on the lower left. A striking pastel portrait of a Navajo boy by Julian Robles, one of the founding members of the Taos Six. The endearing boy sits in a playful manner as sunlight dapples over his shiny black hair, gripping the moccasins on his feet and looking askance toward his upper left. In addition to the moccasins, he wears a russet shirt, white pants, and traditional Navajo turquoise and silver jewelry - cuff bracelets adorning his wrists and a long beaded necklace. Size: 22.375" L x 16" W (56.8 cm x 40.6 cm)
Julian Robles was born in the Bronx in New York City, studied art at the Pratt Institute, and became an illustrator for the U.S. Air Force during the 1950s. During these years he had several posts in the American West that informed his decision to move to Taos, New Mexico in 1968. Following his years of service, Robles studied at the Arts Student League as well as the National Academy of Design in New York until he moved to Taos. Robles was a founding member of the Taos Six - joined by Walt Gonske, Rod Goebel, Ray Vinella, Ron Barsano, and Robert Daughters. His artistic mission has been to visually record the indigenous Pueblo Indians and their rituals. Robles has won numerous awards for his oil paintings, pastels, and woodblock prints. Among these honors was the gold medal of the Webber-Costello Award for portrait painting at the National Pastel Society Show, New York, in 1985; several invitations and awards at invitational shows at the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and the National Western Artists show in Lubbock, Texas.
Provenance: private Newport Beach, California, USA collection
All items legal to buy/sell under U.S. Statute covering cultural patrimony Code 2600, CHAPTER 14, and are guaranteed to be as described or your money back.
A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany all winning bids.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to recent increases of shipments being seized by Australian & German customs (even for items with pre-UNESCO provenance), we will no longer ship most antiquities and ancient Chinese art to Australia & Germany. For categories of items that are acceptable to ship to Australia or Germany, please contact us directly or work with your local customs brokerage firm.
Display stands not described as included/custom in the item description are for photography purposes only and will not be included with the item upon shipping.
Pastel has not been examined outside the frame. It appears to be in very nice condition and is signed "Julian Robles Taos" on the lower left. Julian Robles label (with age and wear) in addition to label stating "Purchased May 27, 1978 Pelham Galleries $1400 Santa Fe" on the verso. Stains and tears to gallery paper on the verso. Minor scuffs and abrasions to frame but still serviceable. Wired for suspension and ready to display.
Accepted forms of payment: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
Auction House will ship, at Buyer's expense
Louisville, CO, US
Please read the following "Terms of Sale" carefully. These terms are applicable to all bidders in this auction, collectors and dealers alike.
1. All items in this auction have been legally acquired, are legal to sell, and guaranteed to be as described or your money back.
2. By bidding in this auction, the bidder personally guarantees payment. The auctioneer has final discretion in all matters. In case of dispute, the lot(s) in question may be resold. Lots will be sold in their numerical sequence unless the auctioneer directs otherwise.
3. HIGH and LOW ESTIMATES are provided for each lot for reference only. All lots will be offered without any hidden / confidential reserve, meaning the highest bidder wins.
4. No lots will be released / shipped until payment has been made in full. Payment (in U.S. funds) may be made via personal check or money order, via credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, AMEX), PayPal or Bank Wire Transfer. For PayPal payments please use "[email protected]" email address for processing payments.
5. BUYER'S PREMIUM: A 24.5% Buyer's Premium will be added to the final price of each lot purchased through Artemis Gallery and will be paid by all bidders without exception.
6. CO SALES TAX: Appropriate Colorado Sales Tax will be added to all invoices, unless a valid CO seller's permit is on file with Artemis Gallery/Artemis Gallery Live prior to any bidding in the auction. Items shipped outside of CO (United States or international) are also sales tax exempt.
7. RETURN POLICY: In the event of an authenticity dispute, written notification of the dispute must be provided to Artemis Gallery within two business days from receipt of the item as shown by FedEx, UPS, or USPS tracking data. After Artemis Gallery is notified of the dispute, a written letter from a recognized expert in the field pertaining to the item in dispute must then be presented. If Artemis Gallery concludes that the assessment of the piece is accurate, a full refund, including item price, buyer's premium (if applicable), and shipping costs will be provided. Artemis Gallery will either provide a pre-paid return shipping label or will reimburse the return shipping charge. Artemis Gallery will only remit refund after the item has been returned.
In the event of an error in item description, condition report, provenance, or dimensions, written notification of the error must be given within two business days from receipt of the item as shown by FedEx, UPS, or USPS tracking data. A full refund, including item price, buyer's premium (if applicable), and shipping costs will be provided. Artemis Gallery will either provide a pre-paid return shipping label or will reimburse the return shipping charge. Artemis Gallery will only remit refund after the item has been returned.
If a return is requested for any reason other than the above, written notification with reason for return must be given within 15 days from receipt of the item as shown by FedEx, UPS, or USPS tracking data for Artemis Gallery to issue a refund to the original payment method. If notification is given after 15 days, the item may be returned for credit toward a future purchase or may be consigned for sale through Artemis Gallery. The item must be returned to Artemis Gallery at the buyer's expense and a refund or credit of the item price and buyer's premium (if applicable) will be provided after the item is returned. Original shipping charges will not be refunded.
All items to be returned must be adequately insured and must be received by Artemis Gallery in the same condition as when shipped. In no event may any item be returned after 90 days from the date of delivery.
8. SHIPPING: As a convenience to our buyers, shipping is handled in-house. All buyers will receive an invoice detailing their purchases, sales tax (if applicable), buyer's premium, and shipping/insurance charges. Items will be shipped only upon receipt of payment in full and will be insured for their full value. Please note, we are currently unable to ship to Germany and Australia due to customs clearance issues. We are working to resolve this issue. If you are in Germany or Australia, you will need to provide an alternate shipping destination, or we will not be able to complete your purchase.
**For shipments outside of the USA, customs and duties may apply upon entry into said country; this fee, if any, is the buyer's responsibility. Also, please be aware that Artemis Gallery will NOT falsify customs value on any international shipments - what you pay is what we declare, no exceptions. There are a small number of international countries we cannot ship to. If you have questions about this, please inquire BEFORE bidding**
9. REQUEST TO DELAY SHIPPING FOR LOTS WON: We are happy to delay shipping on all paid lots for up to 30 days with no storage fees. After 30 days, storage fees will accrue based on a 2% of invoice total.
10. In the event a successful bidder fails to make payment when due, Artemis Gallery reserves the right to re-sell the merchandise and bidder agrees to pay for the reasonable cost of such a sale and to pay any difference between the resale price and the previously successful bid, together with any incidental costs of sale and disbursements.
11. If the auction invoice is not paid for in full when due per invoice terms, including any applicable credit card processing fees, the unpaid balance will bear interest at the highest rate permitted by law until paid in full. If the matter is referred to an attorney for collection, bidder agrees to pay all reasonable attorney fees, court costs and other collection cost incurred by Artemis Gallery to collect past due invoices and that the services of process by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, shall be sufficient to confer "in personam" jurisdiction over bidder.
12. Buyer agrees that any claim of controversy arising out of, or relating to the formation, interpretation of performance of these terms and underlying transactions or the breach thereof, is subject to arbitration or judicial proceedings and shall take place within the County of Boulder, CO subject to the laws of the State of Colorado.
13. QUESTIONS? Feel free to email us at [email protected] with questions prior to bidding or feel free to call us at 720-890-7700. Please be sure to ask all questions at least 30 minutes prior to auction start time, as we will not be able to take calls or answer emails sent to us during the auction.
Auction House will ship, at Buyer's expense