Download the Invaluable app and never miss an auction from your iOS or Android device.
HOOGHE, Romeyn DE - PETTER, Nicolaes. Klare onderrichtinge der voortreffelijcke worstel-konst, Verhandelende hoemen in alle voorvallen van twist in Handtgemeenschap, sich kan hoeden : en alle Aengrepen, Borst-stooten, Vuyst-slagen &c. versetten. Seer nut en voordeeligh tegens alle slaensiecke Twisters, ofte die met een Mes yemandt dreygen of trachten te beledigen. Uytgevonden door den wijtberoemden en vermaerden Worstelaer -. En met 71 naeuwkeurige Verbeeldingen der selver, in 't kooper gebracht door den konstrijcken ROMEYN DE HOOGHE. Amsterdam, Johannes Janssonius van Waesberge, 1674. 4to. Contemp. full vellum (sl. soiled) with manuscript title on spine. With 71 full-page engraved plates by Romeyn de Hooghe. Sl. cockled, occasional small stains and imperfections to edges (sl. browned), several pages with a tiny worm tunnel, else very fine. (8), 16 pp.
HOOGHE, Romeyn DE - PETTER, Nicolaes.
Splendid copy of the first edition. Translated and reprinted but in this original Dutch edition the engravings by Romeyn de Hooghe express their greatest power. The combination of Petter's lucid descriptions, devoid of all jargon and De Hooghe's masterful depiction of pain and violence in the engravings, elevates the book to its position of solitary eminence. It is also unique in presenting an effective and complete unarmed combat system in a format from which it could actually be learned. Prof. Sydney Anglo characterizes the book as "historically speaking the most important treatise on unarmed combat ever printed . . . the finest of all wrestling books and deservedly the most famous" (The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europ, p. 190)
Accepted forms of payment: American Express, MasterCard, Paypal, Visa
Auction House will ship, at Buyer's expense
1. All items are assumed to be in good condition, unless otherwise stated. They may be returned - in the same condition - if any serious defect not mentioned in the catalogue is found. Notice must be given promptly, and the item returned within 8 days of receipt. Excepted are lots comprising 3 or more works, works not mentioned in the description ("others"), or items marked "w.a.f." ("with all faults") or "n.s.t.r." ("not subject to return").
2. Prices are in Euros. Bids are raised by fixed increments. Up to €100 the increment is €5, from €100 to €200 the increment is €10, from €200 to €300 the increment is €20, from €300 to €500 the increment is €25, from €500 to €1.000 the increment is €50, from €1.000 to €2.000 the increment is €100, from €2.000 to €5.000 the increment is €200, from €5.000 to €10.000 the increment is €500, and from €10.000 upwards the increment is €1.000.
3. The highest bidder shall be the purchaser of the lot. In case of dispute, the auctioneer alone is entitled to decide on price and/or purchaser. The auctioneer has the right to refuse any bid without stating his reason.
4. Each buyer is held to buy for his own account and cannot claim any commission.
5. Winning bidders pay a buyer's premium of 20% over the hammer price, plus a 3% online transaction fee. Purchasers within the European Union pay 21% VAT over the buyer's premium.
6. All purchases must be paid for within two weeks of receipt of the invoice. Property of the goods does not pass to the purchaser until the invoice has been paid in full. Any costs caused by the buyers not complying with these conditions (e.g. collecting fees) will be chargeable to them. Payments are accepted by bank transfer, iDeal, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and PayPal. All bank charges are to be paid by the buyer. Payments by credit card and PayPal are subject to a 4% surcharge on the total invoice amount.
7. Shipping is at cost and risk of the purchaser. All shipments are sent through standard surface mail unless the buyer explicitly requests otherwise.
8. Buyers who wish to collect their goods must do so within two weeks of the date of the auction. All costs incurred after this period, e.g. storage, insurance, transport etc., will be charged to the buyer.
9. On every purchase Dutch law only is applicable. In case of disputes the judge of the appropriate chamber in Amsterdam is exclusively competent to decide in first instance.
10. By bidding, the bidder accepts that these conditions of sale are binding.
Payments are accepted by bank transfer, iDeal, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and PayPal. All bank charges are to be paid by the buyer. Payments by credit card and PayPal are subject to a 4% surcharge on the total invoice amount.
Auction House will ship, at Buyer's expense
Winning bidders pay a buyer's premium of 20% over the hammer price, plus a 3% online transaction fee. Purchasers within the European Union pay 21% VAT over the buyer's premium.